Communicating with with a Hub from a computer

Newb

Not really.  Couple reasons.  First is it would have to be YOUR hub.  And the MYGMRS, and midwest groups (mygmrs is the parent group) require a node to be connected to a repeater with reasonable coverage.  Now, you said HUB and not NODE.  a HUB is a master NODE that a number of other NODES connect to and then that hub is connected to other hubs.  So with midwest as an example.  Indiana has a HUB, Illinois has a HUB and several other states have a state wide HUB sometimes called Master Nodes, then those hubs are connected (or not) to the Midwest HUB (ID 169).  So you what you are asking needs to be worded correctly as well.  I can assure you that you will NOT be connecting into a MYGMRS HUB directly from your computer.  Unless you establish your own group and stand up a hub, after getting permission from the system admin. 

So back to doing it with a NODE and not a HUB.  Again, would need to be YOUR NODE, and NODES require a repeater be connected to them.  So there is the issue of being allowed to do it.  I can't speak to would you be allowed.  My GUESS is no.  But that is a guess.  There are only a couple people on here that can grant that permission and I am NOT one of those people. 

We get questions like this a LOT and the answer I have is always the same.

If you have coverage from another LINKED repeater in your area then use that provided access and don't worry about it.

If you DON'T have access in your area, then figure out what sort of antenna you can get in the air and how much coverage footprint you could provide.  If you don't know how to do that, ask us and we will help you figure it out.  If no access exists, there are options.  You can purchase a repeater and the needed equipment to fill the void.  If you have a spot that will provide significant coverage to a large number of people someone in the group my assist with equipment to get an install done to serve the area.  But we can't assist if you aren't asking for the help and giving us information on what you are wanting to do and what you can bring to the table. 

13 hours ago, Newb said:

Is it possible to communicate with the Mid-west GMRS hub from a computer if you area license holder? 

Correct me if I am wrong: you are frustrated that the closest GMRS repeater to your home is "down" and you are looking for ways to "communicate" with other GMRS users of the Midwest GMRS network via your computer?

While I am not well-versed in this area, I will note that the repeater set up by @OffRoaderXcan be accessed through a smartphone app called Zello to communicate with other GMRS users of this repeater, whether by OTA or also through Zello.

Since I live too far west to "hit" his repeater, I am a registered user through Zello. 

Different technology, but similar in practice to how I use EchoLink on my iPhone to communicate through far off Amateur Radio repeaters.

So perhaps the Midwest GMRS repeater network has one of these technologies implemented?

Did I read somewhere that Zello was an "Invite only" service?  I have read about EchoLink and AllStar but wasn't sure if the same type app is available for GMRS.  We only have one linked repeater in the cornfields down state.  Chicago has several but none within my reach.  I am aware that the link is ROIP but I think the app is home grown as it runs on an R-Pi.

I finally got curious enough and emailed the Repeater owner and got an email this morning saying he was hoping to have the antenna up next Saturday weather permitting.  I guess I can wait a week.