Higher SWR post heavy rain

WRUT935

Question

I rechecked the SWR from my hand held that is connected to my Ed Fong antenna on the roof. Same channel, same meter, the SWR went up from 1.1 to 2. Is it just because the pvc pipe has water droplets on it?  I’ll wait to retest when it stops raining here again. 

73 and happy holidays?

10 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, WRUT935 said:

I rechecked the SWR from my hand held that is connected to my Ed Fong antenna on the roof. Same channel, same meter, the SWR went up from 1.1 to 2. Is it just because the pvc pipe has water droplets on it?  I’ll wait to retest when it stops raining here again. 

73 and happy holidays?

It could be because of that but it could also be because moisture has entered your coax cables at the connectors. Unfortunately once that happens the best thing to do is cut the end off and replace it. 

12 minutes ago, WRUT935 said:

I got the chance to take the antenna down now the rain stopped.  yes there is some water at the bottom of the PL connector. Getting a new cable and sealing it with sealing tape before putting it back.  Live and learn. 

It’s usually only the last foot or two that are ruined on the cable. You really can just re-terminate the cable. 

Another thing that helps is to liberally apply Vaseline onto the PL-259 and SO-239 before connecting them together. Still use the self vulcanizing tape. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

Still use the self vulcanizing tape. 

what he said... I like Scotch 130C spicing tape (stretch it as you wrap it) it molds to itself and once it's on it's not coming off. If you really want to be sure it's sealed brush it with some Scotchkote after you tape it (but wear some latex gloves, it sticks to everything).  No I don't have stock in 3M. Did I mention it's not coming off? So make sure to test everything first if you go this route. 

Untitled 3.jpg

Untitled 4.png