Wouxun KG-UV9PX/UV9GX Review

pcradio

Wouxun UV9PX short term review

This radio has the potential to be a true off-grid comms device. Far out in the wilderness, there is no internet, no cell signal, and even if there was, you may need or prefer real-time audio with others using different radios and frequency bands. With two dual receivers built in, its a scanners delight too so you can monitor your main channel while keeping up with what might be transmitting nearby.

That last point really brings home who this radio might appeal to. It is not a tactical radio, although it could be. In tactical comms, you only care about your team and maintaining comms with them. Same with business comms. You don't need multiple bands, you don't care to hear what else maybe going on. You are in concert with your team and maintaining your own personal awareness. You are probably even using an earpiece to maintain E&E. But if you want to know what is going on around you in a non-combative sense, and you don't care about digital, this radio delivers a very usable package for way under $500.

The radio has a unique to me feature. It has the ability to monitor three different channels. When both the upper and lower receivers are set to a different frequency (but "not" scanning), you still have the option to "monitor" another 3rd priority memory "channel". It does a watch feature on that location every 3 seconds. This gives you the ability to monitor as it where, the potential for three incoming signal paths.

Another nice to have feature is toggling between seeing the actual channel frequency itself and the Alpha Name. Sometimes I forget what frequency went with which name. On the UV9PX, you can hold down the TDR/VM button to cycle through options. Long Press for VFO mode, long press again for memory slot, again for frequency, and finally again to return to display name.

Pros:
• Very nice small carry size with optional 2000 mAh slim battery.
• Excellent battery life with 3200 mAh battery.
• Great case design. Comfortable to hold. Easy to stow.
• Nice front panel button feel, response, and layout. Positive "clicky" short depth rubberized buttons.
• True Dual analog receive. Can listen and scan simultaneously. Scan PL tones too.
• Cross-Band Repeater capable. Useful for leaving at base camp and increasing range on the fly.
• Wide 7-Band receive range with air band and 700-960 UHF.
• Chirp Compatible.
• Mars/cap mod-able.
• 999 memory slots, 10 scan groups.

Cons:
• 8 Character Alpha Channel naming. Its 2022, give us 12.
• Unpleasant "beep" tone when pressing buttons. Can be disabled.
• Flashlight. I don't like a flashlight in a radio. LED is in the way, something to break.
• Knobs are stiff, which is good, but they are tapered towards the top. Not usable with gloves. Too small.
• Audio is loud, but could be more intelligible.
• Screen is very difficult to read in sunshine.
• Only IPX55 water rating.
• No USB-C charging port. Clunky desk charger is not needed.

Improvement Suggestions:
• Better audio speaker clarity and tonality.
• Knobs that are equally sized or larger at upper end.
• Improved "beep" tone when accusing menus. Better tone hz.
• Bluetooth capable to allow keeping it stowed away in a bag with a remote mic.
• OLED screen or Transflective display.
• More character support for Alpha Channel Names.
• Larger knobs, they respond great, just change the shape and size.
• Submersible water rating (IPX7, etc.).
• Selectable power output options in 1w increments up to max.
• Ruggized casing. Keep the same look and feel, well done, just increase drop ability.
• 18650 battery case option.
• Faster scanning.
• Declutter the screen with unneeded lettering. It shows "Menu" and "Exit" unnecessarily on the screen. The physical buttons do this perfectly and its wasted screen space to have them duplicated digitally.

I think with these updates, new screen design, and the associated cost to do so, would create a version of this radio that would be very compelling. A true sleeper in the CCR category. The only other radios in contention are at least $500.

Conclusion:
I can not comment on the RF front end quality just yet. But out in the woods, there is no RF to speak of. I do feel the audio speaker response can be improved, but this is subjective. If the only reason you're looking at other radios is because of the nebulous feeling of "quality" selectivity and sensitivity, then you're looking in the wrong place. You just need to go buy that $8,000 Motorola so that you are not compromising. Even a $1.5k mototrbo is going to win the radio quality argument.

So, the only radios that compete with this working feature set, that I know of, are the Yaesu FT-5DR, VX-7R, iCom ID-52A, or the Motorola APX 8000 (and other public safety brands). Let me know other radios with two analog receivers that function like the UV9PX.

I will follow up with a long term review. For now, I give this radio a solid buy if you will not be using the screen in direct sunlight.

Longer term review

I've had some time to use the UV9PX in real world settings. I have to say, this is a great analog radio. It just gets the job done and does radio well. It is simple, uncluttered and without unnecessary things in the way. The true dual receive is nice and I must say that having one audio level adjustment for both bands is preferred. On the Yaesu FT3D, the dual volume is annoying in practice except for when dedicated to APRS. Would like to see an option to synchronize volume levels.

For me, the FT3D/FT5D was the comparison to the UV9PX. They belong on the table together. If you're looking for a great radio and don't want or need the features of the FT3D, the UV9PX should be on your list. I think the UV9PX should be everyone's first radio. An individual liked my audio output to them so much, they wanted to know what kind of HT I was using!

It is super easy to change channels, get to where you need to go, quickly move between VFO's, check the frequency of a channel, change the name, and so on. You know, using your radio to move around and talk on!

FT3D pros:
• Super fast scanner
• Integrated GPS & APRS

FT3D cons:
• Cluttered endless menus
• Subpar audio (really?)
• Dual memory names not displayed (really?)
• Uncomfortable to hold (really?)

I've already gone over the UV9PX in my first post. I still feel the same way. It is just a really well executed radio that focuses on the main reasons why you have a radio in the first place! I am sorry that I can not properly test the front end capabilities. I have no doubt the Yaesu is better. But the Motorola is better, maybe even the best. I'm not able to demonstrate this. If someone else can produce a video and testing format for us, regarding front end receiving, that would great.

Below I have some videos and side by side images for comparison. You'll note the two battery size options for the UV9PX. Video1 demonstrating the scanner and Video2 demonstrating the audio.

The UV9PX is not a perfect radio. But it is worth a look and maybe its the best radio for you.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...