UV-5G Repeater programing help

WRVM230

Question

24 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, WRVM230 said:

just referencing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGpAV0zzpDA

That video is about the UV-5R, a ham radio. The UV-5G is a GMRS radio, and much more simple to use when it comes to repeaters.

Let us know how it goes after trying @Borage257's steps.

If you are using a UV-5G, you dont need to use the offset.

Step by step:

Go to a channel that says REPTR and an number.

Press "Menu", Press the Up arrow until you get to "T-DCS" or "T-CTCS" Press "Menu"

Use the Up or Down arrow until you find the number that corresponds to the tone e.g. 141.3 or 156.7 etc

Press "Menu"

Now do the same thing for "R-DCS" or "R-CTCS"

Press "ecs" and key up

27 minutes ago, WRVM230 said:

I'm trying the offset .6 thing from other videos and still getting nothing

Can you link the videos you are watching? It sounds like you are trying to program HAM repeaters.

All GMRS repeater pairs are +5 MHz (462.675 becomes 467.675)

For local help, reach out to these guys, they run on your local repeaters

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3954761801245336/

13 minutes ago, WRVM230 said:

Thanks again sir.  Your post about programing on 31 and up using chirp only helped me out.  I just entered the tones on a couple of the preset repeaters channels and getting some traffic.  So can I transmit on these as well?

Yes, you can transmit on channels 1-30. Repeater channels are labeled REPTR1-REPTR8 (channels 23-30). Once you have the tones set, you can transmit to your desired repeater.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:14 AM, WRVM230 said:

(Can you recommend a better antenna to upgrade the 5G?) 

Nagoya UT-72G mag mount:

Nagoya UT-72G High Gain Magnet Mount GMRS Antenna (462-467 MHz)

Nagoya 771G for attaching to radio in handheld carry mode also better than stock antenna:

Authentic Nagoya NA-771G Handheld GMRS Antenna (15.3 Inch)

(both also avail on Amazon if you want to support Bezos instead of a small business :)  Amazon does offer free shipping but I like supporting the other guys)

16 hours ago, WRVM230 said:

@Borage257Just mobile sir.  I also have few more basic questions if you have the time

FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector

SMA connectors are rated for up to 500 mating cycles,[7] but to achieve this it is necessary to properly torque the connector when making the connection. A 516 inch torque wrench is required for this, set to 3–5 in·lbf (0.3 to 0.6 N·m) for brass, and 7–10 in·lbf (0.8 to 1.1 N·m) for stainless steel connectors. Flats are sometimes also provided on the cable side of the connector assembly so that a second wrench can be used to prevent it from rotating and damaging the joint to the cable. It is also advisable to inspect and clean out loose debris from the internal surfaces with compressed air or a gas duster can before mating.[8][9]

I would not recommend constantly switching between multiple antennas.

One could, I suppose, use a M-F extender to avoid wear on the radio side, but that would also become a physical weak point for torque if one bumps the antenna.

@Borage257 Thanks again

1. What about a HT antenna upgrade, something around the house/block?

2. Referencing your answer about programing a repeater (UV-5G), do I need to set the tone in T-CTSC and R-CTSC or just T-CTSC?  (after setting the tone for rctsc, the radio displays a "CT" icon.

3. Anyway to scan a "group" of channels after programming...for instance if I programed 20 custom channels and only want to scan 10 of them, anyway of doing that? 

(@KAF6045 thank you, but still 101...will re-visit this in the future)

(@UncleYoda thank you)

27 minutes ago, WRVM230 said:

1. What about a HT antenna upgrade, something around the house/block?

2. Referencing your answer about programing a repeater (UV-5G), do I need to set the tone in T-CTSC and R-CTSC or just T-CTSC?  (after setting the tone for rctsc, the radio displays a "CT" icon.

3. Anyway to scan a "group" of channels after programming...for instance if I programed 20 custom channels and only want to scan 10 of them, anyway of doing that? 

1.) You can upgrade the antenna, but I do not find it necessary in my area. If you choose to get an upgraded antenna you will need a 'SMA Male' antenna.

Some people like Smiley antennas and Nagoya antennas. Signal Sticks are also worth a look. Since you have the UV-5G just get something tuned for GMRS.

2.) The CT icon is showing up to tell you there is a tone set for R-CTCS. Unless you have interference (some one else transmitting on the RX channel) you generally don't need a tone in the R-CTCS slot.

3.) Yes, there is. The easiest way to do this is in Chirp. The far right hand column is labeled "skip". Select 'S' in the cell to skip the channel.

On 12/27/2022 at 10:13 PM, WRVM230 said:

Can anyone please help out a newb.  Got a UV-5G and trying to program a repeater.  Followed a youtube video instructions from NotaR with the +5Mhz offset and not getting anything.  All I have is the repeater freq. and the tone.  No input/output info.

Thanks!

I'm sure you've already got all the answers you need. But in case not, manually enter in your offset of 5MHz, make sure your duplex direction is positive (labeled SFT-D in menu) and make sure you have your Tones right. If their repeater is 100.0 hz and you have a tone of 67 hz, you're not going to be received. And obviously make sure you are on the right channel. 15=462.550 16=.575 17=600 all the way to 22.