Complete newb question about first radio

mak823

Question

I am completely new to GMRS, just got my license and ordered my first radio. I have seen some people posting online about getting a new radio installed in their car/truck and needing to program it. I have to program my radio when it comes in? It won't just work out of the box. Any info on what this means and how I should program mine is greatly appreciated. 

5 answers to this question

What radio did you order? The simplex channels will work out of the box. 

The repeater channels will have to have tones added to them for accessing you local repeaters. You can find the tones in the repeater search on this website.

As far as adding tones, your manual will tell you how to do that. 

Programming on the computer generally allows you to name channels and add them a bit easier.

All GMRS radios work out of the box to transmit on the basic 22 GMRS channels.

You only need to "program" it if you want to use a repeater, add custom listen-only channels or modify preferences.  How you program the radio depends on the radio but its usually fairly simple and explained in the user-manual - usually you just press the menu option on the radio and scroll through the settings/make changes.  Many radios can also be programed/changed by plugging them into a computer and using the manufacturer's software.

13 minutes ago, Borage257 said:

What radio did you order? The simplex channels will work out of the box. 

The repeater channels will have to have tones added to them for accessing you local repeaters. You can find the tones in the repeater search on this website.

As far as adding tones, your manual will tell you how to do that. 

Programming on the computer generally allows you to name channels and add them a bit easier.

I got the Midland MXT575

Thanks for the help

13 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

All GMRS radios work out of the box to transmit on the basic 22 GMRS channels.

You only need to "program" it if you want to use a repeater, add custom listen-only channels or modify preferences.  How you program the radio depends on the radio but its usually fairly simple and explained in the user-manual - usually you just press the menu option on the radio and scroll through the settings/make changes.  Many radios can also be programed/changed by plugging them into a computer and using the manufacturer's software.

Thanks!