Loading Programming Software for the Radioddity GM-30 GMRS Radio on a Win10 computer

WRUY699

Question

9 answers to this question

What error message are you seeing?  Is Windows complaining that it is an unsafe app and won't run the installer?

I've loaded it on both Windows 10 and 11 recently without any issue.

Did you download it from here?

https://radioddity.s3.amazonaws.com/Radioddity_GM-30_Firmware 20210615 %26 Software_V2.06_20210615.zip

Inside the zip archive is a "CPS V2.06" folder.  Run the installer inside that folder.  You may get a "Windows protected your PC" pop-up.  Click "More info" and then "Run anyway".

12 hours ago, wrci350 said:

You must be seeing a different download than I am then.  The whole thing is a zip archive.  ?

Perhaps, but I just clicked your link and I get the same exact download.  Perhaps the Macintosh automatically unzips it; I don't know, but if that is true, another reason why "I don't do windows!"

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 6.39.59 AM.png

3 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Perhaps, but I just clicked your link and I get the same exact download.  Perhaps the Macintosh automatically unzips it; I don't know, but if that is true, another reason why "I don't do windows!"

It's definitely a zip archive (look at the URL) so anyone downloaading it on Windows has to open the archive to get to the folder with the installer in it.

Yes, you can configure your browser to automatically do that, but not recommended.  Sometimes nasty things come in zip horses.

My friend also, had absolutely no problem loading the GM-30 software from the Radiodity Web site!  This friend came over and even he could not get either of my two Win10 computers to load the software.  A on-line suggestion was to try downloading and try a free app called "VLC Media Player".  I did, and the software loaded/extracted and is working perfectly.  Maybe something in my Win10 security was a problem.  So if others have a problem, don't give up!

2 hours ago, WRUY699 said:

My friend also, had absolutely no problem loading the GM-30 software from the Radiodity Web site!  This friend came over and even he could not get either of my two Win10 computers to load the software.  A on-line suggestion was to try downloading and try a free app called "VLC Media Player".  I did, and the software loaded/extracted and is working perfectly.  Maybe something in my Win10 security was a problem.  So if others have a problem, don't give up!

One thing that can really trip up an application is to load the software or plug in the interface cable before loading the factory software. If W10 thinks it knows what driver to use that can prevent the correct driver from being recognized. If that happens you frequently need to completely unload the software and delete the device from Device Manager and start over. 

Edited to add:  The communications cable is the most important element.  It must be working correctly or the CSP software has no chance of working.  Installing the device driver for the cable will typically do two things:

1. Create a device under the list of USB devices.  The driver software installation instructions usually reveal what the name of the USB device will be.  If you don't see that device in Device Manager, you need to stop and figure out why.  Each step is crucial to the next.
  2. Then, a virtual com port will usually be created (not always, but if your software expects a com port, the virtual com port must be created first!!!)  This will appear in Device Manager whenever the cable is plugged in and disappear whenever the cable is unplugged.  It might not be numbered the same each time!!!!
  3. Only if the correct device appears under the USB devices AND the com port correctly appears should you start the software.  If the virtual com port hasn't been created you will not see it when you go to select the com port in the software.