My only problems with BaoFeng

WRVG593

Hey there. Unapologetic baofeng supporter here. I only have a few quarrels with these cheap Chinese HTs. 

The squelch is basically non existent. If you have it set to 0, you will pick up noise like no other. If you have it set to 1, it'll filter out all noise. If yoy set it to 10... it's the same as 1. Basically it would be just as useful to set it to "Squelch" on/off. I understand the reason why it does this. I know you get what you pay for. But honestly when it comes to beginner radios, they can't be beat. 

It's my only major quarrel. 

11 hours ago, WRPG818 said:

I gave up on these radios after trying out another brand. The UV-9G picked up so much noise from my vehicle and didn't have the power that another brand had. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality 

You're likely to do well going with a commercial grade radio. They are designed to withstand hard use and function in harsh RF environments. There are a lot of quality used ones on the market. The programming can be a bit more involved but you also gain flexibility that many of the cheaper Chinese radios lack. Some of them have Part 95 certification, required for GMRS, in addition to Part 90 so there is no issue with questions about the legality of using them on GMRS.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:15 AM, WRPL700 said:

WRUU653:

Care to share your settings for the UV-9G?  I have a GMRS-9R which is basically the same.  The squelch is horrible.

Thank you!!

Here is what I ended up with on my UV-9G.  It is close to what is shown in the link  Lscott posted but a bit different. I found this to work good for me but you may find your radio and area a little different. You'll notice I set my GT-3WP (same radio but HAM) a little different as they seemed to behave a little differently. I first came to do this because I noticed The UV-9G would always show reception even when no one was keying up from a local repeater that is close by and that wasn't happening on my GT-3WP even though they were exactly the same settings out of the box. I also noticed if I was monitoring that repeater on B and something else on A, that B always saw the repeater as active I wasn't ever hearing anything on A. Having two radios really helps when diagnosing issues. I just played around with settings to quite out the noise in my area while scanning and to give myself some room to play with. The first one is UV-9G, Second is GT-3WP...

image.thumb.png.4d82545139d23c39f3421a7f8b803ce2.pngimage.thumb.png.282040d1414302531ddbcf345be1fadd.png

38 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Here is what I ended up with on my UV-9G.  It is close to what is shown in the link  Lscott posted but a bit different. I found this to work good for me but you may find your radio and area a little different. You'll notice I set my GT-3WP (same radio but HAM) a little different as they seemed to behave a little differently. I first came to do this because I noticed The UV-9G would always show reception even when no one was keying up from a local repeater that is close by and that wasn't happening on my GT-3WP even though they were exactly the same settings out of the box. I also noticed if I was monitoring that repeater on B and something else on A, that B always saw the repeater as active I wasn't ever hearing anything on A. Having two radios really helps when diagnosing issues. I just played around with settings to quite out the noise in my area while scanning and to give myself some room to play with. The first one is UV-9G, Second is GT-3WP...

image.thumb.png.4d82545139d23c39f3421a7f8b803ce2.pngimage.thumb.png.282040d1414302531ddbcf345be1fadd.png

You rock, thank you!  I was just using the CPS to configure my HT, but now I will have to install CHIRP.

14 hours ago, Duck218 said:

As anyone adjusted the settings from 2 to 5?  I've appreciated the spreadsheet and the settings have helped.  Now I'm wondering about spreading out the lower settings because I get the feeling 4 Matt be too high and 3 is too low (after adjusting from the factory settings.

I have not done it yet.  It will either tomorrow or next week.  I did download and install Chirp, but no time today.  I will post back my settings after I get it done.

On 1/11/2023 at 4:46 PM, Duck218 said:

As anyone adjusted the settings from 2 to 5?  I've appreciated the spreadsheet and the settings have helped.  Now I'm wondering about spreading out the lower settings because I get the feeling 4 Matt be too high and 3 is too low (after adjusting from the factory settings.

image.png.8fa8b5b5f741bfd639df78d3f1871252.png

This is what I set it to.  It seems to work better than the standard settings.  I may tweek them more later on.