New Gamin Tread

Garmin released the new Tread Off Road GPS with Ride Talk. It operates on MURS.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/702373/pn/010-02406-00

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-16B1D74D-857B-4FFB-8DE2-A0960FE0D090/EN-US/GUID-1C57D760-1BD2-46F6-B0CE-BC46503AEDBC.html

Water resistance

IEC 60529 IPX71

Operating temperature range

From -20° to 55°C (from -4° to 131°F)

Wireless frequencies (United States)

From 151.82 to 154.6 MHz @ 31.7 dBm

The slick part about it is it does use a external antenna connection. It talks about installing the external antenna. The rubber duck would probably work in one mile but I think a standard VHF quarter wave on a NMO mount would double its performance. It appears to be an SMA connection but they don't specify. I'm trying to decide if I'll order one or not. I just replaced my overlander in the Jeep but adding MURS in the same unit and not worry about another radio seems slick.

If they add or even replace MURS with UHF FRS/GMRS, I will buy these for sure. I do have stock in Garmin though, as I own a lot of their products, and have for a long time. The Rino series radios are awesome! I am not even scared off with the $2k price tag for the power switch and 10" display package. 

I like that they are making products like this. And OP, thank you for sharing the links.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:23 AM, gortex2 said:

I've alwasy been a garmin fan. Have a ton of their stuff also. I think the MURS is actually good for riders. Your going to get further than FRS and its used less than FRS right now. I added one to my wish list for the Jeeps. 

Yes, range will definitely help. In a previous life, I used VHF comms for oil spill cleanup operations, then UHF was for a "command net" which was slightly shorter range, not FRS/GMRS but there were many that brought their own radios that were FRS/GMRS (pre-2017 changes). 

I would only like to see FRS/GMRS compatible unit as it would augment what I already have, lots of Garmin Rino's. Thank you for sharing the links, I may have to save my pennies for more toys to use with my other toys.

• 2 months later...

They are interesting.  I have a friend that just got the race versions.  I don't think it has MURS, it has some kind of satcom.   They need a matrix to help figure out what screen size and comm options exist. 

I agree, it would be nice to have options on the radio included.  Most of the people I ride with have VHF radios in their machines, so the build in radio wouldn't work for me.  If everyone was starting from scratch, this would be interesting.