BTech GMRS50V2

wayoverthere

So...don't think I've seen it mentioned yet (and searched), but I was poking at the FCC OET search tonight, looking for Baofeng-related grants related to post elsewhere, and stumbled onto an approved grant for another "50 watt" BTech, labeled as the GMRS50V2. Checked the FCC ID, and it's definitely different than my 50x1, with an approval date in November 2022.  Perhaps they're easing back some of the limitations that were present in the original firmware.  Photos look to be a twin to the 50x1, though.

Exhibit List

All things considered (mine losing power, Marc's similar experiences, and other things I've since acquired), I'm unlikely to buy another, but if the changes are similar to what they did with the GMRS-V2 handheld, it's at least a step in the right direction as a reasonably flexible legal starter radio, with a bit more punch than the anytone/radioddity/retevis triplets, or the little brother Wouxun (how long it lasts, though...who knows?)

On 1/14/2023 at 2:02 AM, wayoverthere said:

So...don't think I've seen it mentioned yet (and searched), but I was poking at the FCC OET search tonight, looking for Baofeng-related grants related to post elsewhere, and stumbled onto an approved grant for another "50 watt" BTech, labeled as the GMRS50V2. Checked the FCC ID, and it's definitely different than my 50x1, with an approval date in November 2022.  Perhaps they're easing back some of the limitations that were present in the original firmware.  Photos look to be a twin to the 50x1, though.

Exhibit List

All things considered (mine losing power, Marc's similar experiences, and other things I've since acquired), I'm unlikely to buy another, but if the changes are similar to what they did with the GMRS-V2 handheld, it's at least a step in the right direction as a reasonably flexible legal starter radio, with a bit more punch than the anytone/radioddity/retevis triplets, or the little brother Wouxun (how long it lasts, though...who knows?)

I emailed BTECH a few weeks ago and asked if they would be updating the GMRS-50X1 to include adding more channels for GMRS and they said they would be releasing the new update (new radio I presume, ie. 2nd GEN) in the 1st quarter 2023.