RT-97S Software Can't Find USB Port

sjmahler

Question

Brand new 97S and cable from myGMRS.  Windows 10 system.  Plug programming cable into USB port (have tried USB 2 and 3).  Windows device manager sees port.

Software Version ...  RT97 Program Software Ver 1.05  Date  3/3/2019

Start RT97 programming software ... RT97.exe.   Attempt to set Com Port ... port is grayed out.  Tried multiple usb slots.  Tried updating driver, have current version.  Have disabled/enabled Com port, have rebooted system, have tried to run  RT97.exe as admin.   NO JOY.   Port remains greyed out in list.

Started my exe for a UV5G ... it finds Com4 no problem.  I have also force the comm port number from  4 to 9   and   4 to  2 .... no joy.

Would appreciate any pointers or experiences you may have had with similar problems.   Sigh.

...STeve

Edited by sjmahler
additional info

7 answers to this question

I had this issue with my RT97 and had to change the comport assignment to 1 or 2 using Device Manager - sounds like you tried that, but just in case you meant something else give that a try.

Also - would you mind measuring the size of your 97S?  I would like to see if its larger than my RT97 ..

4 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I had this issue with my RT97 and had to change the comport assignment to 1 or 2 using Device Manager - sounds like you tried that, but just in case you meant something else give that a try.

Also - would you mind measuring the size of your 97S?  I would like to see if its larger than my RT97 ..

Sure !    I will try your suggestion again.   Further information ... moved to Windows 7 laptop, it finds the Com Port but unable to do the read.  It talks about a bad format.  So, for fun I put the power supply on the 97.  Display lights ... but the controls don't act like the manual that came with the unit.   LONG press up / down is channel UP / DOWN.  Short press UP/DOWN is VOLUME UP/DOWN (a surprise but maybe good because I have an old URIx and PI waiting).  LONG PRESS UP AND DOWN to see the PL tones.   Are we having fun yet ???   I must have firmware that doesn't match the PC app (ignoring the comm port issue).

Dimensions (including things sticking out):  11.5 W  X   8.25 H  X  3.25 D        let me know if you need additional info.

Thanks for your suggestion!  [Enjoy your vids !]

...STeve    WRVM211 / KF5VH

Feels and sounds like metal.  I have seen a couple of teardown videos that show the TX / RX cage (appears very beefy) secured with a thermal paste to efficiently transfer heat to the exterior case.  Might as well use that metal can and explains the ribbed exterior.  I would imagine that line amps have the same issue.

...STeve

For those folks considering a Retevis RT-97S ... I have learned the following since purchase via mygmrs.com  (Thanks Rich for your help!!) .

1)  The label on outside of the box shows the frequency of Channel 1 for the default configuration file.

2) The duplexer has been tuned to the center of the 8 input channels and the 8 output channels.  Untested, but I have been told at the low power level of a 97S it works.

3) The Retevis document in the box does not explain how the front panel controls actually work.  There is nothing wrong with the change and it adds the ability to control volume out which could be very useful interfacing to a computer.

4) If your big windows computer has many "USB things" other than old fashion com ports, you might have to grab a laptop to do the programming.  When the programming software can not display the 97S USB interface so you can pick it, but the port shows up in the device manager, this may be your problem.

5) The Retevis software to install the USB driver might throw you an error message while loading your driver (MS Visual C++ Runtime Library error).  Check and see if it might have completed installation before it threw the error message.

6) I thought the RT-97 was an 8 channel device.  I was surprised to see the RT-97S with 16 channels.

7) It would be nice if the programming software would print your channel information.  I haven't found it and doing a screenshot to have the data printed.

eight) In the programming software you can set two fields named "Embedded Message" ... apparently it places a string of text in the 97S configuration memory.  I have decided to plant info that points to the owner and the version of the configuration file.

9) Untested, in the programming software "Tail Tone Eliminate" seems to be reverse CTCSS during repeater hang time (aka Chicken Burst).

10) Privacy codes (which should be "Listening Filters" or "Matching Filters")  are supported.  Split codes are also supported.

And that's way too much for now.   ...STeve