Uv-5r setting

WRVF645

Question

I picked up a uv-5r to playwith and "unlocked" it so I could transmit on gmrs.  I dowloaded Chirp and set it up like all my grms radios, set up 22 channles, set the intersticial channels to low power and narrow band, set up the repeater channels with the proper offset and named everything.

Everything in simplex works fine, I'm having trouble with one of the repeater channels.  I've connected to the local repeater with my other radios no problem.  When setting up the uv-5r and testing it I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the repeater because after I transmit, I can see the led light up, but I can't hear it.  On Chirp thought I set the transmit tone and left the recieve tone blank.  The repeater has two different tones for tansmit and recieve, I leave the recieve off on all my grms radios.  When I saw what looked like I was recieved a transmission but couldn't hear the transmission I assumed it was a tone mistake.  So I manually went into the radio settings and saw there was a tone set (the same as the input tone I had programed).  I turned off the recieve tone then tried to hit the repeater again...  same result.  

I assumed I made a mistake again, went into the radio settings manually and turned off the output town, exited out of the menu but this time I double checked the setting and hit menu again and the recieve tone was STILL there.   I can't seem to turn off the recieve tone, it keeps reverting to match the transmit tone.

I assume I have something set incorrectly.  What settings should I look at on the radio or is it something I need to look at in Chirp?

14 answers to this question

4 hours ago, WRVF645 said:

I picked up a uv-5r to playwith and "unlocked" it so I could transmit on gmrs.  I dowloaded Chirp and set it up like all my grms radios, set up 22 channles, set the intersticial channels to low power and narrow band, set up the repeater channels with the proper offset and named everything.

Everything in simplex works fine, I'm having trouble with one of the repeater channels.  I've connected to the local repeater with my other radios no problem.  When setting up the uv-5r and testing it I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the repeater because after I transmit, I can see the led light up, but I can't hear it.  On Chirp thought I set the transmit tone and left the recieve tone blank.  The repeater has two different tones for tansmit and recieve, I leave the recieve off on all my grms radios.  When I saw what looked like I was recieved a transmission but couldn't hear the transmission I assumed it was a tone mistake.  So I manually went into the radio settings and saw there was a tone set (the same as the input tone I had programed).  I turned off the recieve tone then tried to hit the repeater again...  same result.  

I assumed I made a mistake again, went into the radio settings manually and turned off the output town, exited out of the menu but this time I double checked the setting and hit menu again and the recieve tone was STILL there.   I can't seem to turn off the recieve tone, it keeps reverting to match the transmit tone.

I assume I have something set incorrectly.  What settings should I look at on the radio or is it something I need to look at in Chirp?

It would be most helpful if you would screenshot the setting dialog in chirp and include that, but I’ll try to do this from memory.  There’s about a 50/50 chance of me making a mistake .

You need to tell Chirp that it’s two different tones and then the RX Tone is blank.  That requires setting three different columns.  

First is Tone Mode, which is set to Cross.

Second is Rx Tone or RX CTCSS or RX DCS, which you leave blank.

Third is Cross Tone, which is set to CTCSS—> if you need a CTCSS Tone for transmit, or DCS—> if you need to transmit a Dcs Tone.  Because the second part (after the arrow) is blank, you have no receive tone.  

If that doesn’t help I’ll take a look at your screen shot in the morning and try to figure out what I said wrong.

Now if you want to do it from the front panel, I think you change it from Tsql to just Tone and it won’t look for a receive tone, but it has been a while since I programmed a UV5R.

It's been a while so i might be wrong but I do not believe you can edit an existing channel on the fly with the uv5r. It doesn't save edits to an existing channel memory slot. Tune to your receive frequency, enter your tones and offset and save in an empty channel memory slot. 

It's all working now but I didn't use Chirp.  As I was leaving for work I saw that I had recieved the bluetooth adapter to program the radio with a phone app that I had ordered.  Using the adapter and the app on my phone  I was able to take off the recieve tone and update the radio.  I can now connect to the repeater.

I just connected to Chirp and now I can see the settings in Chirp.  I did not have the Tone Mode set to Cross, now it is.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:35 PM, WRVF645 said:

assume I have something set incorrectly.  What settings should I look at on the radio or is it something I need to look at in Chirp?

These steps helped me when I did it to troubleshoot. 

1. Re-download daily installer

2. Ensure coms (most likely com3) and setting is right (baofeng uv5r)

3. Upload from radio to create a new file

4. Edit the file from the new file that was created from uploading to computer. 

4b. Ensure tones match. My simplest answer is to set TX tone to access your repeater and leave the Rx tone blank to just relieve it all. Make sure it says tone and not cross. Chirp is finicky and wether it's a Mac or windows can sometimes change just by clicking off the menu items. Triple check your work. Sometimes you may have accidentally set the frequency .012 away and that's enough to change the whole thing. 

5. Upload to radio.

6. Enjoy

Let me know if this helped at all

8 hours ago, WRVG593 said:

These steps helped me when I did it to troubleshoot. 

1. Re-download daily installer

2. Ensure coms (most likely com3) and setting is right (baofeng uv5r)

3. Upload from radio to create a new file

4. Edit the file from the new file that was created from uploading to computer. 

4b. Ensure tones match. My simplest answer is to set TX tone to access your repeater and leave the Rx tone blank to just relieve it all. Make sure it says tone and not cross. Chirp is finicky and wether it's a Mac or windows can sometimes change just by clicking off the menu items. Triple check your work. Sometimes you may have accidentally set the frequency .012 away and that's enough to change the whole thing. 

5. Upload to radio.

6. Enjoy

Let me know if this helped at all

I think I had two issues.  One was the tone mode was set wrong.  I should have been on CROSS since the repeater is set up for two different dcs tones, I had set it to TONE on CHIRP and then entered a DCS in what I thought was the transmit column.  ( have two other HT's I can connect to the reapeater without issue using different software to set them up, so I understand some fundamentals, I've just never used CHIRP

When I saved the settings to the radio, unplugged it from the computer and tested the connection to the repeater, I could see my recieve led light up so I knew I was recieving from the repeater but must have the my recieve tone set wrong (I meant to leave it blank)

I then tried to manually go into the settings to remove the recieve dcs tone (it matched the transmit dcs tone I had entered) and test it again... same situation.  Went back and checked the settings manually again and the tone I thought I set to off was back again.  I set it to off again exited the menu, went back to double check and the dcs tone was there AGAIN.  I was confused to why I could not remove the dcs tone through the handset itself,  Was that because I had set the Tone Mode set to TONE , or was it some other reason?  A previous comment said they thought it might not be possible to change that through the handset..... seems weird if that's true.

So I know I had the tone mode wrong.  I've since gone into the CHIRP support pages and read the difference between the Tone Modes.

But I still don't understand why I could not make the changes through the handset itself.

I can post a screen shot of my CHIRP settings when I got home tonight.

16 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Ah, ok: It's a digital Tone; good work!

Which repeater is that? I can't find Mod 51 on our repeater list.

it's the ncs51 repeater out of Modesto, but there are three linked repeaters and two are listed as ncs51, one in Modesto and one in Madera so I name them differently on my radio.

I deleted the photo because the tone is unlisted on mygmrs.com and I don't know want to break protocol. 

btw, the ceres repeater does come up on mygmrs.com any longer.  I never connected to it since I can't reach it from Patterson.