Coax Attachment

Wrvq441

Question

Greetings all.

I am currently installing a Comet GP-6NC GMRS/FRS antenna.

My question is what do you find best for attaching/ stabilizing your coax cable while going down a longer mast?

Plus, from previous posts, I am assuming that I need to put the minimum of one loop/ coil in the coax directly below the antenna itself.

I was thinking zip ties, but my guess is that after a year or so that the UV will make them brittle and render them useless.  I thought hose-clamps with something between the clamp and the coax, but I’m worried that the metal in the clamp could possibly cause an issue. (Not sure)

The mast itself will either be steel or aluminum, I’m still working on that calculation both structurally and financially. The reason I don’t invest in a quality tower is due to the fact that I am actively looking for a different property to spend the rest of my retirement on, so this install is temporary. (One to three years is my guess)

Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and input.

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Wrvq441 said:

Greetings all.

I am currently installing a Comet GP-6NC GMRS/FRS antenna.

My question is what do you find best for attaching/ stabilizing your coax cable while going down a longer mast?

Plus, from previous posts, I am assuming that I need to put the minimum of one loop/ coil in the coax directly below the antenna itself.

I was thinking zip ties, but my guess is that after a year or so that the UV will make them brittle and render them useless.  I thought hose-clamps with something between the clamp and the coax, but I’m worried that the metal in the clamp could possibly cause an issue. (Not sure)

The mast itself will either be steel or aluminum, I’m still working on that calculation both structurally and financially. The reason I don’t invest in a quality tower is due to the fact that I am actively looking for a different property to spend the rest of my retirement on, so this install is temporary. (One to three years is my guess)

Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts and input.

There are cable ties that are intended for exposure to the elements (UV resistant).  Just use one of them, but be sure you don’t tighten it up. Coax cable is very easily damaged.  A short piece of ground wire could also be used.

Also, Panduit makes a lot of different cable handling accessories.  I’m sure others do too, but I’m most familiar with Panduit.

How far down the mast will there be cable ? I would use stainless ties from HD or Lowes. Just below antenna I'd wrap it with electrical tape (3M good stuff) then 2 stainless ties. There is no reason to do a loop, just run it straight down the mast. Where it goes into house/shed put a small drip loop and tape with double stainless tie there also. 

For reference good tape will last for years. I removed my fathers tower last year when he sold the house. I had used 3M tape then around the 6' mast with stainless ties about 15 years ago. I still had to cut the tape and ties. They were fine in Upstate NY snow and ice belt. There really is a difference in harbor freight electrical tape and 3M. 

And…. The mast will obviously be grounded. Would you just ground the coax where it enters the building, or up by the antenna too. The antenna is fiberglass. The other week you posted grounding guidelines, but I need to print it out so I cam mark it up for myself.

31 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

A loop just below the antenna is frequently done as a choke.

Yup I know but there is no need for it. Not sure why everyone feels it needs to be there. Maybe in HF world but in UHF no. I've yet to see one antenna on a publics safety tower in 30 years with a loop in a cable..... Again I guess I just deal with Public Safety and LMR so my antenna systems emulate them at home to.