UV-5G chirp upload issue

ogjohnboy

Question

Hi all, I'm trying to upload a pre-made channel listing using Chirp to my UV-5G radios but am unable to upload as the option is grayed out (non-selectable.)

I know the CSV file is good as I used it program my UV-5R's.

Is it possible that the 5g doesnt accept CSV files? Or somehow it recognized that some of the listed channels are ham frequencies (for monitoring purposes only) and therefore won't allow the upload?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

20 answers to this question

The radio doesn't directly accept CSV files.  First you have to import the file into Chirp, then make sure you have your serial port selected.  I suspect that's your problem.

Here's what I suggest.

First, make sure the correct serial port is selected.  Until you have chosen a serial port, downloading and uploading options will be grayed out. Until you choose the correct one downloading and uploading will fail.

Then, download the current configuration of the radio.  Get in the habit of always doing that.  Otherwise, if you screw up the upload later on you have something to revert to.  It's also the best way to ensure that the correct port is selected.

Save that as a backup, then tell Chirp you want to start a new file.

Import your CSV file. The columns and rows of Chirp should populate.

Select "Save As" and then save that under a different name than your previous backup file.

Now upload that configuration.

That should do it.

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

Save that as a backup, then tell Chirp you want to start a new file.

I would change this sentence to:

Save As... this file as a backup, and then Save As... again with another name, something like "UV-5G 202301251630"

Then I would continue with:

Import your CSV file. The columns and rows of Chirp should populate. etc...

And before or after upload be sure to do another Save for this file.

I'm able to download from radio, and have saved the channel listing. But the issue I'm having is that the stock files are saving as a standard .Img file, and I'm not able to save the pre-made channel list as an .Img file. Do I have to go through the stock radio with the xml program? Watched a video from ham radio guy that show how to basically unlock everything.

4 minutes ago, ogjohnboy said:

I'm able to download from radio, and have saved the channel listing. But the issue I'm having is that the stock files are saving as a standard .Img file, and I'm not able to save the pre-made channel list as an .Img file. Do I have to go through the stock radio with the xml program? Watched a video from ham radio guy that show how to basically unlock everything.

No, you’ll have to import it as a CSV. You might have to massage it in excel if it’s not in the right format. 
I would import it and see how it looks. Don’t upload it unless it looks perfect. 

I've got the file as a CSV, as I've used it to upload to my UV-5R radios with no issue.

I just tried uploading the list from one of my 5R's and then saving it as and IMG, but then when I try to upload to the 5G, the upload selection is available, com port is correct,but it won't let me select radio manufacturer or model.

I'm starting to think that the firmware on the 5G is preventing me from modifying it. I may have to unlock it via the xml radioddity program first.

This may be a similar issue as when I tried to program my tr-bander Uv-5x3 after using CHIRP for my UV-5Rs. 

Be sure you are using the default codeplug that you should download from the G while it is still a “virgin” and copying and pasting the entries from a separately open window of the R code plug. 

Does that make sense?

Under your Chirp folder is a sub-folder called "stock_configs"

It has all of the generic channels that you can import for any radio using Chirp. It is full of CSV files.  I'll attach the one for standard GMRS/FRS channels.  If you put your file into this format (not an IMG!!!) and place it into this folder, you might be able to simply import it into Chirp.  Have Chirp set for the correct radio in the first place.  Then see if you can upload it to your radio.

I do not believe you can move IMG files from one radio type to another.  I think all file migrations must be done using CSV files.

US FRS and GMRS Channels.csv

Little update. If i download from radio, i can modify the channel listing and then upload to radio. But if i open a generic channel listing in chirp i am unable to upload to radio as the selection is grayed out.  i may have to contact chirp or baofeng to figure out why i can upload a csv file to these 5G radios. i have noticed there are some columns missing in the programing list of the img channel list vs the csv channel list such as tune step and im unable to add those in. 

*edit* after a little research, i think ive realized that tune step applys only to ham? or am i incorrect?

Edited by ogjohnboy

40 minutes ago, ogjohnboy said:

Little update. If i download from radio, i can modify the channel listing and then upload to radio. But if i open a generic channel listing in chirp i am unable to upload to radio as the selection is grayed out. 

I am a bit confused by your message, but let's move on...

CHIRP uploads .IMG files to your UV-5R; not .CSV files.

A generic file is never good to start with; it will only lead to problems.

Start with an .IMG file that you know works with your UV-5R; such as one you saved earlier, or a fresh download.

Then feel free to add additional channels and resave to your radio.

.CSV is an "interchange" format that allows you to save data to be manipulated by another program.  Most people like to use Excel.

If you have more than one of the SAME radio, exporting as CSV is not as helpful.

But if you have different radios, using CSV as an intermediary step can help you bring one radio's channels to the other radio.

REMEMBER even if you move CSV data over, the new code plug must have the radio's other settings as well, which is why you want to work on the proper .IMG file for that brand of radio.

CSV is also helpful to bring over pre-set frequencies from a standardized group of frequencies, like public service frequencies, especially for scanning purposes.

13 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I am a bit confused by your message, but let's move on...

CHIRP uploads .IMG files to your UV-5R; not .CSV files.

Start with an .IMG file that you know works with your UV-5R; such as one you saved earlier, or a fresh download.

I've gotten it to work on my UV-5R but my current issue is with my uv-5G radios.

What I meant was, I can upload the radios (UV-5G) current configuration. Then in that same window I can modify the configuration with different frequencies and what not. Then using that same window I can download to the radio.

What I'm not able to do is upload from the 5G radio, load a pre-made channel configuration into chirp and upload to the 5G radio. Seems like the firmware on the radio isn't allowing it perhaps?

23 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You cannot make any modifications that violate Part 95(e) rules.

What does your "pre-made channel configuration" consist of?

S does that mean tune step applies only to ham?  i am very much green when it comes to this sort of thing so my knowledge level is poor on whats what so forgive me if for being unknowledged. 

i even tried using the premade FRS GMRS channel listings that are in Chirp with no success. 

ive attached the csv file i used on my 5R.

frequencylist.csv

1 hour ago, ogjohnboy said:

S does that mean tune step applies only to ham?  i am very much green when it comes to this sort of thing so my knowledge level is poor on whats what so forgive me if for being unknowledged. 

i even tried using the premade FRS GMRS channel listings that are in Chirp with no success. 

ive attached the csv file i used on my 5R.

frequencylist.csv 3.96 kB · 1 download

Looking at your frequency_list.csv file, ALL 22 of your GMRS/FRS channels have Tone 67.0 for both transmit AND receive!  Definitely turn off the Receive Tones.

23 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Looking at your frequency_list.csv file, ALL 22 of your GMRS/FRS channels have Tone 67.0 for both transmit AND receive!  Definitely turn off the Receive Tones.

That was actually going to be my next question. From what I've read the tones are just for turning on repeaters and areny necessary.

The 5G is just gonna be for use around the property and in emergency situations since there's a decent amount of repeater coverage in my area.

Plus I haven't done my ham license yet...

4 hours ago, ogjohnboy said:

That was actually going to be my next question. From what I've read the tones are just for turning on repeaters and areny necessary.

Tones can be useful for simplex operations if you are on a "noisy" channel, to block out the unwanted stuff... Granted, you will have to monitor the "busy" LED (or press the MONItor button to check the channel status) as someone else could be transmitting that you don't hear -- you would transmit only when the channel goes clear.

As for frequency step -- that mostly applies to any operations done in VFO mode; it might be useful if you are trying to add receive-only (public service/non-GMRS) frequencies to a system for scanning purposes... presuming the radio offers slots for extra channels to be programmed.