WRKV653

Question

I am setting up a new RT97S repeater. I have ran into an issue that I can't seem to figure out.

When anyone releases the PTT the repeater will key back up and give a beep noise.

any suggestions on how to use the raspberry Pi as the repeater controller?.

I am also using the mygmrs rt97s image.

THanks

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRKV653 said:

I am setting up a new RT97S repeater. I have ran into an issue that I can't seem to figure out.

When anyone releases the PTT the repeater will key back up and give a beep noise.

any suggestions on how to use the raspberry Pi as the repeater controller?.

I am also using the mygmrs rt97s image.

THanks

So are you hearing the repeater courtesy beep and wanting to get rid of it?

Courtesy beeps aren’t held in the same disdain as some hold Roger beeps. 
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9509075.pdf

Repeater courtesy tones, like roger beeps on simplex, are a good thing. They let everyone know when someone unkeys so there are fewer "doubles". The disdain comes from folks using roger beeps on repeaters. Once you use a repeater with a courtesy tone, you miss it when it doesn't work, like on my club's repeater.

On 1/26/2023 at 2:23 PM, Sshannon said:

So are you hearing the repeater courtesy beep and wanting to get rid of it?

Thanks for the PDF, yes it is the courtesy tone and the repeater tail. When I let go of the PTT the repeater will drop out like normal, then the Pi keys up the repeater and the courtesy tone is heard, then after a 2-3 second repeater tail it all goes back to stand by.

I am trying to find a setting in the Pi that lets me adjust the repeater tail time.

Thanks

1 hour ago, WRKV653 said:

Thanks for the PDF, yes it is the courtesy tone and the repeater tail. When I let go of the PTT the repeater will drop out like normal, then the Pi keys up the repeater and the courtesy tone is heard, then after a 2-3 second repeater tail it all goes back to stand by.

I am trying to find a setting in the Pi that lets me adjust the repeater tail time.

Thanks

I would expect the tail time to be a repeater setting, not in the Pi. I certainly could be wrong. 

On 1/26/2023 at 1:23 PM, Sshannon said:

This was informative and well written. I learned a few new things. A good read for people setting up a repeater for the first time as well as using them. Thanks for sharing. 

15 hours ago, WRKV653 said:

Thanks

You should have the Raspberry Pi duplex mode set to simplex so it doesn't try to add hang time to the repeater. The setting is in /etc/asterisk/rpt.conf. Our prebuilt image for the RT97S has this setting applied as well as the audio levels preset.