Brand new KG-935G can listen to local repeater tx/converstations, but when I program the CTCSS...

WRVX790

Question

My KG-935G can listen to local repeater tx/converstations, but when I program the CTCSS for each repeater (as per published info) I can no longer hear the same chat that I could before, although I can see other user's tx signal strengths... Then when I turn off the CTCSS tones for each of the two repeater channels, I can again hear other's conversations. 

What am I doing wrong? ?

10 answers to this question

I have turned them off, and I turned off the TX CTCSS as well. 

I was under the impression that to be able to use an *Open* local repeater that has published their Tone Up/Down I had to have both Up and Down tones set to the correct value. 

So you're saying that how it's done is just to program the repeater's Down tone? 

Thanks for your help. 

17 minutes ago, WhiskeyRomeo790 said:

I was under the impression that to be able to use an *Open* local repeater that has published their Tone Up/Down I had to have both Up and Down tones set to the correct value. 

So you're saying that how it's done is just to program the repeater's Down tone? 

It is a bit more complicated that that, but in essence leave the Receive Tones turned off until such time as you are successfully completing contacts on that repeater.

When your communications are successfully, and you are sure that the repeater is sending out a Tone for you to Receive; then if you turn on that Receive Tone, you will only hear the output of that Repeater.  You will not hear anyone else on that frequency, such as simplex users and perhaps another repeater on that frequency.

What happened to the Victor X-Ray? ?

Agh... just moments after that very poor choice of a username went into effect, I regretted the attempt at being clever. I had emailed *mygrms.support* but have received no reply to my request to change my username to just my call sign...

I don't think the folks I'm listening to are communicating simplex, based on their locations. Too far apart and too far from me. Who knows. 

Thanks for trying to help this fumbling no0b! 

9 minutes ago, WhiskeyRomeo790 said:

Agh... just moments after that very poor choice of a username went into effect, I regretted the attempt at being clever. I had emailed *mygrms.support* but have received no reply to my request to change my username to just my call sign...

@rdunajewskito the rescue!!!!

Which frequency?

*post dinner break*

Which frequency what? The two (four, actually) repeaters I can hear?

462.575 - Topanga, Saddle Peak

462.625 - San Pedro, Ft MacArthur

462.650 - Redlands

462.700 - Inland Empire [NotaRubicon]

I can hear convos on all four while inside my house and on this Wouxon HT, but I'm closest to, and smack dab in the middle of (15.1 mi one way, 15.2 mi the other) of Topanga and San Pedro. 

I certainly do not expect to reach these guys in tx on just 5 watts, though. At some point in the next few months I'll get a mobile unit which may do double duty (carried to and fro) as a base station with all the peripherals that will entail. 

You're welcome!

Try using your HT outside and see if you can hit those repeaters. Do you have a higher gain antenna for your HT, such as the Nagoya 771G?

It sound like you are in Westchester, and if so Topanga (Saddle Peak) may be your best best to gain access.  

I actually like that repeater and when Kevin @w6wko was in his pre-amateur license days, and I were attempting to find stable communications between my location and his up over the Angeles National Forrest into Santa Clarita/Canyon Country, we discovered this repeater worked nicely for both of us.

If you go the base station route: I am a big fan of the Radioddity DB20-G, which out of the box is an 18 watt, mini-mobile (fits in the palm of your hand), cigarette lighter plug for power and slap a $29 mag mount on the car and you're mobile!  Costs about $109 depending upon the deals being offered at the time of purchase.

I have two!