Newby wondering about licensing process/timing

Guest jim in Helotes/Texas

Guest jim in Helotes/Texas

Hi, I'm a Ham Operator, so I'm OK with using the FCC and ULS online, but I'm unsure if I'm doing the GMRS application correctly. Sunday, I filled out the application screen and went forward with the idea I would pay, but CORES won't let me log in and the application went to 'Pending'. Monday I checked and it was 'Pending' and still not able to log in to CORES. Tuesday (today) is the same. 

Am I being overly anxious, is something else supposed to happen before I can proceed?  Just wondering. Thank you all in advance, jim

2 hours ago, Guest jim in Helotes/Texas said:

Hi, I'm a Ham Operator, so I'm OK with using the FCC and ULS online, but I'm unsure if I'm doing the GMRS application correctly. Sunday, I filled out the application screen and went forward with the idea I would pay, but CORES won't let me log in and the application went to 'Pending'. Monday I checked and it was 'Pending' and still not able to log in to CORES. Tuesday (today) is the same. 

Am I being overly anxious, is something else supposed to happen before I can proceed?  Just wondering. Thank you all in advance, jim

A lot of people have problems paying because of the software. I did too. I called the toll free number listed in ULS and a nice lady walked me through an alternate way to pay. Do that. 

The FCC website has been having trouble lately. Took me 2 days to get my application in. Had to register with CORES to be able to pay even though I already have an FRN. After I finally got the application in it only took about a day to get an approval email with a link to download my license. Of course it didn't work at first. Tried the link once every hour for about 5 hours and it finally worked. The key here is patience. I suspect their website gets overwhelmed at times and they also do periodic system maintenance that gums things up. Good Luck

Guest WRWA569 Jay
On 2/7/2023 at 5:09 PM, WRWC213 said:

The FCC website has been having trouble lately. Took me 2 days to get my application in. Had to register with CORES to be able to pay even though I already have an FRN. After I finally got the application in it only took about a day to get an approval email with a link to download my license. Of course it didn't work at first. Tried the link once every hour for about 5 hours and it finally worked. The key here is patience. I suspect their website gets overwhelmed at times and they also do periodic system maintenance that gums things up. Good Luck

I recently obtained GMRS license. 

The easy part: Same day to obtain FRN and apply for GMRS; but after the application it it took about 2-3 business days for it to be approved and then payment...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim In Helotes/TX -WRWH385

Now licensed, but I think I discovered a problem with the systems for the FCC. Several calls and much trouble, had to be elevated to support level 2.

But bottom line, I found that I believe my email address was the problem. My email is made up of "FirstnameLastname.Group@gmail.com" and since gmail is OK if the "." is ommitted, I reregistered "FirstnameLastnameGroup@gmail.com" (note the "." between Lastname and Group was left off) and everything went through and I was licensed in hours.  I am going to write this type of note again and post in the Technical Forum. I know the readers there are already licensed, but they might want to be aware to help a friend if they experience a problem.