New GMRS User Checking In

WRWB509

Hey, new GMRS user here.  I mainly joined for off-roading related communication, but am interested in learning all of the typical uses, protocols and etiquette.  I've watched a number of Youtube introductory videos, but would love to be pointed to a good introductory thread here if there is one.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, WRWB509 said:

Hey, new GMRS user here.  I mainly joined for off-roading related communication, but am interested in learning all of the typical uses, protocols and etiquette.  I've watched a number of Youtube introductory videos, but would love to be pointed to a good introductory thread here if there is one.

Thanks!

I don’t know of a single introductory thread here.  If anything you’ll be permanently scarred by the arguments about what kinds of radios are best and whether a roger beep portends the end of the world as we know it, but it’s actually a pretty fun bunch of people.

Some of the best introduction to gmrs is in the form of Notarubicon videos on YouTube, although you will also want to pay attention to some of the people here to hear some reasoned differing opinions.  In particular, look for his GMRS for Dummies video.

Don’t let anyone tell you your radio isn’t good enough.  Eventually something someone says may sound like that, but don’t take it personally.  You’ll quickly learn what’s good enough for your own needs.

Welcome to the forum!

Naaa,  the REAL arguments are about antennas!

Also got a mobile unit for offroad, but didn't find many people to talk with.  But around home we have three good repeaters, so plenty to do.  I also got repeater-capable handhelds for camping use, and also use one at the home w/ a base antenna positioned in the room for best reception.

Hello WRWB509. It looks like I got my GMRS license just ahead of you a little bit.

Our problem is we are way out in the boonies with only a very few other GMRS users scattered around, maybe mostly out of range. I got my BTech GMRS Pro radios last night and am trying to get through the huge learning curve on them. As I went through the channels I didn't pick up any transmissions. Could be time of day, or we really are in a GMRS desert. I might be within range of the one repeater that is even remotely near me, so as soon as I figure out how to access it I'll give that a try.

Any suggestions? I am all ears.

2 hours ago, nokones said:

Would this be considered as a "Race War" or a "Religion War"?

Hey Kenny, we left SCW just a little over a year ago to settle in the Ozarks. We lived on Tartan Dr., considered the Spanish Garden area. There was a lot we liked about SCW, but we missed having property and living in the mountains.

1 hour ago, WRUI365 said:

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you" Could not pass that up, a little Steelers Wheel

45 minutes ago, WRWB424 said:

Glad someone picked up what I was putting down. Though, I would've gone with "hams to the left of me, CBs to the right."

I was thinking of the same ?