Travel Channel/PL Tone

labreja

Question

I know the travel channel has been discussed at length, however, I have not been able to find an answer to my question, therefore, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do I use 462.675, channel 20s frequency, with a PL 141.3, or do I set it up like a repeater, using 462.675/ 467.675 with a PL 141.3?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

J

10 answers to this question

Oh boy this is a subject that has been discussed at length but first let me address the repeater part of this. PL 141.3 is a common tone used for open repeaters, not restricted to any particular channel/frequency. I have all eight repeater channels programmed with this for travel. Not to be confused with the channel used for travel. Good practice to make sure the repeaters you may access doing this are indeed open. it’s easy enough to ask if you get on one and if not how to get permission. The generally accepted off road channel is 16 (4x4) and many have adopted 19 though others use 20 for highway. This has been debated to death and you won’t have to look hard to find much on the subject. 

@WRUU653

First, thanks for the quick reply.  

So, I just use 462.675 with a PL of 141.3? Is this correct? 

If so, I will set up the repeater channels like you mentioned above, (great idea), a memory of 462.675, pl 141.3.

Same recommendation for channel 19? Say 462.65 pl 141.3?  What are your thoughts?

I don't know how to to the @ thing correctly. I'm kind of new to this as well.  

As for the repeaters I just have one separate bank programmed that way and labeled them Travel 1, Travel 2 and so on. The local repeaters or ones in places I have put in I still program in with their name (in an separate bank) even if the settings are the same so I know what repeater I’m on. That’s just how I chose to do it. 

Edited by WRUU653
Clarification

No PL on 19 or 20 simplex.  If using repeater channels, PL 141.3 is generally used for open repeater systems, however not guaranteed.

If you program a PL on simplex, you won't hear other traffic on that channel unless they are using the same PL.  If you are scanning for traffic, it's best not to program PL because you will hear all traffic, even if they are running any PLs.

Hope this helps.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, CP650 said:

If you program a PL on simplex, you won't hear other traffic on that channel unless they are using the same PL.  If you are scanning for traffic, it's best not to program PL because you will hear all traffic, even if they are running any PLs.

Hope this helps.

Minor clarification: if you set a receive PL on simplex, you won't hear other traffic on the channel unless they're using the same PL. (exception: the older midland mxt 115 & 275 will want to leave tones off on simplex, since you can't set rx and tx separately)

while it's usually not necessary (unless you know you need a specific tone for another party to hear you), it won't hurt anything to run a transmit PL on simplex; if the other parties listening aren't running a receive PL, they'll still hear you.  If they ARE running a receive PL, they won't hear you either, unless you're using the SAME PL...if you run without any, they still won't hear you.