Raspberry Pi Alternatives?

WRVD377

9 answers to this question

Only reason I am asking is because I have had 3 - Pi 4 on Backorder since October 2022, Last time I asked for another update was Jan, 2023 and was told they don't have a clue and the supplier can't tell them.  The was Newark. Mouser has none also. I know the Pi 4 is not listed as ready for mygmrs, but they could free up my Pi 3 devices.  But if the supply chain is this horrible, is it better to look at x86 low end devices that maybe an image could be made for one.

3 hours ago, WRVD377 said:

Only reason I am asking is because I have had 3 - Pi 4 on Backorder since October 2022, Last time I asked for another update was Jan, 2023 and was told they don't have a clue and the supplier can't tell them.  The was Newark. Mouser has none also. I know the Pi 4 is not listed as ready for mygmrs, but they could free up my Pi 3 devices.  But if the supply chain is this horrible, is it better to look at x86 low end devices that maybe an image could be made for one.

x86 is a completely different architecture. You'd basically have to build all the software from source (same work as porting to another ARM-based board), along with mapping GPIO pin-outs which are likely much different.

4 hours ago, WRVD377 said:

I keep hearing June of this year the dam will break.  In the meantime, get on rpilocator (https://rpilocator.com/?country=US) and sign up for alerts.  If you receive an alert, jump on it.

Oh, I get the extra work, thus why I would suggest one of each hardware platform, likely one a Linux known version and the one on Pi Arm version.  Not sure the GPIO pin out on the USB style linking cables, guess I would need to read up on that and so I will try to read about that.

I am not worried about me, I have a few more Pi 3's sitting around.

23 hours ago, WRVD377 said:

Oh, I get the extra work, thus why I would suggest one of each hardware platform, likely one a Linux known version and the one on Pi Arm version.  Not sure the GPIO pin out on the USB style linking cables, guess I would need to read up on that and so I will try to read about that.

I am not worried about me, I have a few more Pi 3's sitting around.

FYI: The Raspberry-Pi OS is a customized version of Debian.

USB are /SERIAL/ data streams. GPIO are individually controlled pins. That said, I do have an experimenters board that takes commands via USB and operates (reads/writes) GPIO pins (not sure if I have the Windows driver installed). May not be fast enough to handle the required pin controls.

I saw while reading cable pin outs on my RIm-Maxtrac and the RIM lite v2, of which, I am not sure any of that would need changed, when buying it for a known Radio setup. I suspect the USB output is already setup to be understood as a common sound device.   Have not messed with that yet. Then I read the build here is on the Debian-stretch armv71 platform.  First, I have to figure out how to test my node without being on the Midwest region. I may just get a RT97s and Rim lite v2 and put them in the shed 30' away from other repeater and 10' lower on solar power and see if I can get a node for it and link them to do my testing. Or wait for the other person in the area to put up his and help him get it running and attempt to link them.