GMRS repeater on BLM land

Guest Tyler

I live in a small village in the bottom of a canyon in New Mexico.  The phones often go out and there is no cell service. The last few years most of us have been using frs radios and a few people in the village have gmrs radios, this covers most of the village but we would like to add a repeater on the rim of the canyon. everyone is willing to get there gmrs license but the repeater would be on BLM land. Is authorization needed to place a repeater even if it is a mobile unit only anchored with rocks? if so what is the authorization process like? I have seen there are other GMRS repeaters on BLM land.

Thank you for any advice

What I was able to find indicates your local BLM field office would be the starting point for authorization. The description file linked from this page isn't loading for me, currently. It looks like the fees vary based on the population served, but if it can fall under 'other', it doesn't look outrageous.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/lands-and-realty/communication-sites