Repeater name display on mobile

VETCOMMS

Just curious how others do this, but when programming a repeater into a mobile there's only so many characters allowed.

I put in an abbreviation of the city where the repeater is to help me select which repeater depending on my location when I'm driving.  I would like to put the repeater call sign there as well but not enough space (Anytone radio).

How do others program their repeaters in?

I have a limit of 5 characters on one of my h-ts, so I had to get a little creative, I have a half way decent memory for airport id's, so, Clearwater is CLW, Sarasota is SRQ, Tampa is TPA, etc

I personally prefer to alphabetize the id's by location/city/town in ascending order, then if there's more than one repeater in an area, I use the frequency after the ID, so: CLW 550, CLW 600, SRQ 650, TPA 575, TPA 725, etc

On the 5 character h-t, it cuts off the 3rd digit, but that's ok, CLW60, SRQ65, TPA57, or TPA72, I can work with that, the 3rd digit is always going to be 0 or 5

Much like @wayoverthere not so many here that I can’t remember them by name. I’ll abbreviate if needed. Most of my out of area ones are by name also but ones I rarely would need are by area. I keep the local ones organized together first, a bank of repeater channels with 141.3 tones for travel second and out of area but likely to use in a third set. 

59 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Much like @wayoverthere not so many here that I can’t remember them by name. I’ll abbreviate if needed. Most of my out of area ones are by name also but ones I rarely would need are by area. I keep the local ones organized together first, a bank of repeater channels with 141.3 tones for travel second and out of area but likely to use in a third set. 

my gmrs handheld (which mainly resides in my desk at work now) has a set of extra repeater channels in it for travel use as well, in addition to the base 30 and the local/semi-local stuff.

on the ham side, have mine arranged similar; in area first, abbreviating as needed and most common first. i've been adding out of area stuff as needed, grouped by areas..i have blocks for monterey/SF Bay/East Bay area, central coast (SLO/Morro/Pismo/Paso Robles), further north (Santa Rosa/Sonoma), and some Seattle stuff in one of the radios (for a trip that fell through).  the radios that have banks, i'll sort them into banks based on area. I'll move things in and out of the scan list as needed when i travel.

13 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

i have blocks for monterey/SF Bay/East Bay area, central coast (SLO/Morro/Pismo/Paso Robles), further north (Santa Rosa/Sonoma),

It sounds like we are programming some of the same areas. Though I don’t have my ham license (I may jump in a some point but that just means more radios…?), I do monitor central coast Ham frequencies occasionally but have GMRS mostly programmed. I also have the Auberry repeater you mentioned in for when we head up to the mountains. 

2 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

It sounds like we are programming some of the same areas. Though I don’t have my ham license (I may jump in a some point but that just means more radios…?), I do monitor central coast Ham frequencies occasionally but have GMRS mostly programmed. I also have the Auberry repeater you mentioned in for when we head up to the mountains. 

You might find the TCARC one useful as well. The discussion thread on their forum indicated they were able to reach it with a mobile out to greenfield or so, and i can reach it with 18 watts and a 1/4 wave no problem.

On the ham side, 444.975 (I think it's flagged as w6slo) should be an active one, linked up the coast to Monterey/Salinas and into the central valley

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

You might find the TCARC one useful as well. The discussion thread on their forum indicated they were able to reach it with a mobile out to greenfield or so, and i can reach it with 18 watts and a 1/4 wave no problem.

On the ham side, 444.975 (I think it's flagged as w6slo) should be an active one, linked up the coast to Monterey/Salinas and into the central valley

Thanks. I don’t have that one plugged in yet. I’ll add it to my list of “frequencies to monitor”.  I keep a short list of things to see if I can receive.