Can the BTECH PC03 FTDI programming cable be used interchangeably with the Wouxun PC-001 cable?

WRVX790

Question

Can the BTECH PC03 FTDI programming cable be used interchangeably with the Wouxun PC-001 cable?

On the surface, the two appear to be indentical, save for the shape (and perhaps the contents) of the USB-end housing. The jacks should be identical... If I knew anything at all about PC basics, I may have had my answer. ?

I have both cables, but if so, only need one. A friend is going to purchase two Wouxun KG-935G-Plus radios, and I'd like to give him the BTECH cable to use for programming his 935G-Plus. 

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. 

?️ ?

5 answers to this question

Well, the cables may *look* the same, but they use different USB-to-serial chips.  That may or may not matter ... I have run into programming software that will only work with a particular brand of chip, but most don't seem to care.

I'm guessing you have a Wouxun radio but not a 9356?  Have you tried programming it with the other cable?

The Baofeng cable will work for programming the Wouxun KG-935G/GPlus, according to this feller here on YouTube:

He says so @ 1:30

I have not yet tried it, since I've never done this to a radio before I have some small trepidation and am going to use the Wouxun cable instead for the first time programming my radio. 

Thanks again for your suggestion, though! ?

?

I understand your reluctance ... but here's another suggestion.  Try *reading* from the radio using each cable.  If you can read from it, then chances are pretty good you can write to it as well.

Even if the BTECH cable doesn't work, the chances of you hurting your radio are slight (and pretty much zero if you just try reading from it).  You'll just get an error message in the programming software.

Boy, did I get the Error message. Several times, and using the red Wouxun cable... but when I plugged in the three-yr-0ld BTECH/Baofeng programming cable (for a couple of UV-82HPs I bought at the time*), IT WORKED just fine for modifying the layout of the KG-935G. 

Sure glad I had that BTECH cable! I let my buddy know to be sure to order his own programming cable 'cuz, well, mine didn't work!, see. 

I had most of what I originally wanted to do to this Wouxun HT (named a couple of repeater channels, entered some CTCSS and DCS tones already accomplished by way of the radio's keypad but with the cable I was able to watch and learn from yet another NotaRubicon vid and ended the session with only changing the display name of the radio.  

I see now from the vid I posted above how I can add the variations for DTCSS/DCS tones for different repeaters (in different territory) that share a Channel freq. That's pretty neat, as is the other 950+ spots reserved for whichever channels I'd like to monitor. Pretty neat stuff. 

Thanks for your help, Three Five Zee-ro. ?

*HAM Technician ticket study never took, but now that my motor's been revved by my intro to GMRS w/ this great Wouxun, I can see that in the not-too-distant future I may resume my amateur radio study.