New Radio Releases

zzz

How do companies usually roll out new radio releases? Do they typically release new models yearly? Do certain companies typically release during certain times of the year?

I am looking to upgrade my handheld, but I will wait if something new may be coming.....

1 hour ago, zzz said:

How do companies usually roll out new radio releases?

When sales of the existing model falls way down they add a few more features to the radio and release it as the new-and-improved one. Then of course you want it, sell your perfectly good older model at a huge loss. Then you buy the new-and-improved model, which of course costs way more. You're happy for a while until the "new" new-and-improved-model comes out and the cycle repeats.

49 minutes ago, WRHS218 said:

I have a theory that they wait until I purchase a certain radio and then wait a short time to release the new and improved "plus" model. It has happened too many times to be coincidence.

That is exactly what I am anticipating...

1 hour ago, WRHS218 said:

I have a theory that they wait until I purchase a certain radio and then wait a short time to release the new and improved "plus" model. It has happened too many times to be coincidence.

There actually is data to support this theory.

59 minutes ago, CTHULHU said:

I just ordered a Wouxun KG-1000G+ trying to upgrade from a radiodity DB-25, just curious of your thoughts about the KG and if anyone here has had one of the previous models and how they liked/disliked it.

I have had/used the KG-1000G, the 1000G+ and the DB-25... The DB-25 is probably my lease-favorite radio, and the KG-1000G+ is my mostest-favorite Part 95 GMRS radio, with the older 1000G right behind it.

22 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

Most of the plus models I have seen though actually limit the radios more than they actually open things up though. Per the KG-1000G and the KG-1000G Plus. Probably due to getting yelled at by the FCC about something

4 hours ago, kmcdonaugh said:

Most of the plus models I have seen though actually limit the radios more than they actually open things up though. Per the KG-1000G and the KG-1000G Plus. Probably due to getting yelled at by the FCC about something

I’m not saying you’re wrong because I don’t have them both to compare but can you give me an example of how the 1000G plus is more limited? I’m curious because I recently received the KG-935G plus and noticed I can change channels 8-14 from low to high and narrow to wide which I discovered by accident. I’m not saying you should in fact my understanding is besides the regulations there is few reasons you shouldn’t but my point is it seems less limited though likely an over site in the new programming. 

Okay follow up to my claim that you can change those settings after testing the radio. It's true I can change those settings but when you operate the radio (press PTT) the radio still works within the specified confines that it should. Still would like to know what's more restricted about plus models though. 

Edited by WRUU653
correction

3 hours ago, kmcdonaugh said:

That is a bold statement, but curiously missing any actual examples/facts/data.

Please tell us how the 1000G+ is limited compared to the 1000G .....

30 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

That is a bold statement, but curiously missing any actual examples/facts/data.

Please tell us how the 1000G+ is limited compared to the 1000G .....

Nothing major that takes away from the radio. But they removed some of the amateur specific settings that weren't really used a whole lot in GMRS. But considering these are also amateur scanners who knows. 

From Wouxun. -"The menu, button and function names on the original KG-1000G were consistent with similar amateur radio models. Some amateur features remained in the menu even though they weren't useful for GMRS, and some button and function names were somewhat cryptic and difficult to understand without a manual."

Same thing with the UV5R from Baofeng. The original UV5R came completely unlocked. Then they started locking them. And we all know about the "unlock" for the newer versions of the UV5R. However as of last week, this unlock function appears to have disappeared on the newest models (I have yet to test this myself). Like I said, probably because the FCC yelled. And I get it the FCC is going to do FCC things, not arguing with that or saying they are wrong. Just saying its a bummer

1 minute ago, kmcdonaugh said:

However as of last week, this unlock function appears to have disappeared on the newest models

I just ordered a new UV5R from Amazon on 2/17/23, got it on 2/18/23, and right away programmed it with ham and GMRS to see if it would transmit out of band. As expected, it wouldn't. After performing the standard unlock sequence, GMRS works. The firmware version is HN5RV01.

4 hours ago, kmcdonaugh said:

Most of the plus models I have seen though actually limit the radios

31 minutes ago, kmcdonaugh said:

Some amateur features remained in the menu even though they weren't useful for GMRS

So as far as limiting the KG-1000 Plus they didn't?  Sounds like they removed things that we're not applicable to GMRS.  Not trying to argue either but as someone who is considering the purchase of the 1000 Plus if there was something limited that is something I would be interested in but I'm not seeing it. From what I see so far it's been improved as has my KG-935G Plus.  

58 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

I just ordered a new UV5R from Amazon on 2/17/23, got it on 2/18/23, and right away programmed it with ham and GMRS to see if it would transmit out of band. As expected, it wouldn't. After performing the standard unlock sequence, GMRS works. The firmware version is HN5RV01.

Nice! That is good. I'll have to look up what firmware version was running on the UV5R for the guy who said it wouldn't work anymore when he tried it.