OK, It's way past time to be proactive.... Repeater access orientation (Video or ZOOM)

WQWX838

12 minutes ago, WQWX838 said:

OK... I am amazed by this really... I had no idea this was an issue. It is slang after all in English?, and I will refrain from using it. I will address it as amateur radio. That is not slang. Please don't be offended, English culture is every bit as amazing as others. I had no clue quotes were sneers! I have seen a few things on this forum that I had not a clue what it even meant. I could not tell if it was a compliment, insult, or what... Yeah, that is how true it is.

Feel free to use the ‘h’ word in all its variants, but quotes are not necessary. 
I had a friend who was a drafter who always had his caps lock key on for text on drawings. He would get on email and folks cringed because he was always yelling. 

LOL... Too funny... OK why not. This is all repeater related. This is a watered down version

1.) Think before you xmit, if you can't think of anything to say avoid the PTT button.

2.) Q codes (thanks to group poster for that reminder)

3.) Weather, Arthritis, Space fillers (see #1). This situation is caused by user boredom, and can be cured by primary productive activities.

4.) Keep it short... Think "utility". (probably get hollered at for putting it in quotes)

OK teaser done.

Gotta go, I will check back in here next week unless banned already. All is OK no matter what and I mean that! Thanks!

P.S. On the thought of language use, A friend of mine once told a couple coworkers they "sure looked homely". They were not happy. He is from Ireland, and it was in fact very much a complement. Damn hubris! It seems the world is out to get everyone....lol

I hold an "H" license, my wife doesn't, I do not know everything.  She thinks I am a nerd, but I am a good cook and provider so she keeps me.  Got my GMRS license this week.  I got it because on "H" bands I am a CW operator.  I don't even own a VHF or UHF radio at this time.  We are going to buy, eventually, 2 decent GMRS HTs and I would like to eventually establish a GMRS base station in our location.  I thought I might want to build a repeater, but that urge has passed.  I am in the foot print of INDY 600 so we don't really need an open repeater here.  Good, saves me money for other toys. 

I have been monitoring GMRS freqs for about a year, I feel like I know some of you already, and for the most part everyone seems to get along and are very friendly.  So I have requested access to a couple repeater systems, and await the reply patiently.  I look forward to being on the system, and being able to communicate with my wife when she is not within cell phone reach.  I am perfectly happy to be mentored on the proper protocols of GMRS use. 

I have a child living in Mooresville and one in Decatur Township (Indianapolis) and I plan on getting them to jump on the GMRS bandwagon if this works out well for my wife and I.  ?

On 2/24/2023 at 1:12 PM, WQWX838 said:

1.) Think before you xmit, if you can't think of anything to say avoid the PTT button.

3.) Weather, Arthritis, Space fillers (see #1). This situation is caused by user boredom, and can be cured by primary productive activities.

4.) Keep it short... Think "utility". (probably get hollered at for putting it in quotes)

This applies to every radio service ever created, and is universally ignored by at least some folks on every radio service ever created. No one has a monopoly.

Q codes were invented to cut down on the character count when communicating with CW. They have almost no place in voice communications of any kind. This is one that many ham radio operators are guilty of, and if it's migrated to GMRS, only hams can be blamed. It must be stopped. Sooner rather than later. Today if possible.

If it were not for health problems and weather, many hams would not have anything to talk about. But, and this is a big but, there are plenty of hams who do not fall into this trap. GMRS users who are not hams sometimes fall into the weather / space filler trap. Not as many, because they're often too busy winching their Jeeps out of the mud after trying to impress their girlfriends, who are predictably not amused.

This is the first time I've seen you use quotes properly. Hams who use GMRS for ragchewing need to go back in their own yard. However, I've heard plenty of ragchews on GMRS repeaters between non-hams. Some people just like to talk, and the radio enables them. Just like CB.

17 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Not as many, because they're often too busy winching their Jeeps out of the mud after trying to impress their girlfriends, who are predictably not amused.

I giggled at this one.  Replace girlfriend with wife and this describes about 12 to 15 of my weekends every year.  LOL

7 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

This applies to every radio service ever created, and is universally ignored by at least some folks on every radio service ever created. No one has a monopoly.

Q codes were invented to cut down on the character count when communicating with CW. They have almost no place in voice communications of any kind. This is one that many ham radio operators are guilty of, and if it's migrated to GMRS, only hams can be blamed. It must be stopped. Sooner rather than later. Today if possible.

If it were not for health problems and weather, many hams would not have anything to talk about. But, and this is a big but, there are plenty of hams who do not fall into this trap. GMRS users who are not hams sometimes fall into the weather / space filler trap. Not as many, because they're often too busy winching their Jeeps out of the mud after trying to impress their girlfriends, who are predictably not amused.

This is the first time I've seen you use quotes properly. Hams who use GMRS for ragchewing need to go back in their own yard. However, I've heard plenty of ragchews on GMRS repeaters between non-hams. Some people just like to talk, and the radio enables them. Just like CB.

Nice addendum to my posting, thank you for that. I liked that you vented on my quote usage also. I had suspected there was something else going on there with my use of the phrases. They did indeed belong in quotes due to the style of use they have, yet as promised, I will use the more formal description of the amateur radio subject. I talked with my buddy on the weekend about how upset a few were about me using the "hammy ham" phrase and I googled it!!! I could not believe what the result was! I had no idea and I never imagined it was a derogatory slang phrase for a gay person! I will NOT post the result as you can do that for yourself! I apologize for my suggestion and not knowing the slang even referred this. Simply unreal! Referencing what my Irish buddy said about people being "homely" and all? I wished I had just told everyone here they were "homely" instead! I just wish someone would have had the courage to go ahead and tell me what it meant for God's sake!

47 minutes ago, WQWX838 said:

I just wish someone would have had the courage to go ahead and tell me what it meant for God's sake!

Courage has nothing to do with it. I had no idea hammy ham was slang for what you said it's slang for. I just think it sounds stupid and condescending. This thread has gone so far off the rails that I've made it my New Week's resolution to give up responding to it. We'll see how long that lasts.

1 hour ago, WQWX838 said:

I just wish someone would have had the courage to go ahead and tell me what it meant for God's sake!

That’s right, double down by blaming your mistakes on others’ courage.

As @WRQC527said, it had nothing to do with courage.  It doesn’t matter if it has anything to do with sexuality and frankly that thought never occurred to me. Your choice of words was insulting, just as you intended it to be, and like every other intentional use of nicknames to put others down. 

By the way, you might want to take it out of your signature.

11 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

As @WRQC527said, it had nothing to do with courage.  It doesn’t matter if it has anything to do with sexuality and frankly that thought never occurred to me. Your choice of words was insulting, just as you intended it to be, and like every other intentional use of nicknames to put others down. 

I wish someone had told me! I am not blaming others for my mistake. Hard to blame someone else when I did not know what I did not know! Yes, Hard to know everything about the language and all the nuances. I came here to help make a decision as to listing a public repeater or not... Lots of good people here and good suggestions which have been even more help to make this decision than I even could have imagined. I was kindly warned by a couple people from day one as to why they chose they way they did, and they have stood silently by, as I reinvented the wheel and now understand what I did not before. I internalized absolutely nothing from these forums ever, except that I did apologize for the reference that I had no idea even existed. I do apologize for that reference! I had zero clue! Here is the outcome of all I can see and read, plus the unusual hidden advocacy deeply buried in the forums sometimes.

1.) Business band license will not give enough mobility to use in every region I need it to (frequency coordination issues) on the fly.

2.) GMRS utility use and amateur radio use are in stylistic contrast to each other which could make operational issues an ongoing problem.

3.) I need portable repeater use plus simplex use at times also.

4.) Utility users are of one mind and there seems a direct personal identity correlation (emotion) with amateur radio people (often enough, yet not always).

5.) I need to keep traffic as low on the mobile and portables as I can. 

6.) As always, we are the sum total of our fears, doubts, and insecurities. Nobody on this forum can type anything that would get me upset. We have not met, we don't know each other, the internet is famous for misunderstandings. It is 100% good all around!

Final decision? Yes, repeater stays private. Thank you to all posters of every kind!!! My only regret is that this all had to be via the web and not in person... That would have helped very very much! If anyone finds themselves in Idaho or Georgia and wants to touch base? Send a note.

J

17 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I am confused here.  Are you saying you need your own personal, portable repeater? Or are you saying you want to use someone else's repeater, along with simplex use?

Hello Marc,

I was seriously considering offering my one fixed repeater as "open access" and have been searching for the best answer on this. The issues with the Cincinnati system and several others coupled with things I have observed with the North Georgia system, have helped me make this decision. I have the fixed unit, one portable repeater system, 6 mobiles, and 14 portables. I normally use simplex, yet there are times for portable repeater use in rural Georgia, Idaho, or Dakota's. Still a lot of places where cell signals are weak or don't exist yet. In spite of some strange postings, this was the goal. It has been reached. My fixed unit reaches up to 40 miles in some directions so coverage is good. I just decided to keep life as simple as I can. Thank you for the thoughtful posts along the way!

Joseph

@WQWX838,  Sounds like a nice collection!  Honestly, I have 3 repeaters (1 fixed and 2 portable).  Not only are they closed systems, they are not even on all the time.  Only when I plan to use them.  The rest of the time, they are off.  My fix repeater only covers about a 10 mile radius, anyway.  So, I use a friends repeater that covers a 40 mile radius and really would only turn mine on if his was down.

7 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Okay what I think is important from all the discussion here is that we start saying MURSY MURS ? 

No… just me then? Mursy, sounds like a 20’s gangster. ? I’m going, I’m going ? 

That’s not inclusive!!!  You must say “Radiosy Radios”. 

18 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Okay what I think is important from all the discussion here is that we start saying MURSY MURS ? 

No… just me then? Mursy, sounds like a 20’s gangster. ? I’m going, I’m going ? 

I have to admit... Mursy MURS does sound great! I liked it a lot!! yet did not want to say it as I thought the whole mess was getting too weird!

15 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

@WQWX838,  Sounds like a nice collection!  Honestly, I have 3 repeaters (1 fixed and 2 portable).  Not only are they closed systems, they are not even on all the time.  Only when I plan to use them.  The rest of the time, they are off.  My fix repeater only covers about a 10 mile radius, anyway.  So, I use a friends repeater that covers a 40 mile radius and really would only turn mine on if his was down.

Yes, use them in the field! They are VERY handy. More safe and durable than a phone anyway. Wow 3 repeaters! that is a task!

21 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Thanks for the reminder of my signature. I did remove it and had forgot it was there. Did not want to insult you, as if I did it would be done directly only. You had posted some thoughtful comments that I appreciated. My radio friend and I have known each other since age 11, and we have called it this since that time and referred to CB as "chicken band" at the same time. One time we saw a guy pull a spiral cut ham out of the fridge, jam an upside down coat hanger into the top, and then a microphone into the front and key the mic, develop an intense stare, push his hat back on is head and say, "CQCQCQ"... We just don't take ourselves that serious. Alas, can't please everyone.

Repeater etiquette question:  Someone decides to play their siren on a other wise quiet linked repeater network for say...10-15 seconds.   What's the proper number of response comments on the otherwise quiet repeater network from users once the siren stops?   5?  10?  Less?  More?  

10 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

Repeater etiquette question:  Someone decides to play their siren on a other wise quiet linked repeater network for say...10-15 seconds.   What's the proper number of response comments on the otherwise quiet repeater network from users once the siren stops?   5?  10?  Less?  More?  

It depends on the nature of the comments and the response by the “someone” who played a siren. Ideally a single comment by the repeater operator would be sufficient, but life is never ideal.

9 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

It depends on the nature of the comments and the response by the “someone” who played a siren. Ideally a single comment by the repeater operator would be sufficient, but life is never ideal.

Ain't that the truth.  I don't know if the someone that played the siren even made a comment or did a drive by and waited to hear the response. It's been my experience on any repeater that when the clowns show up they wish to be entertained and noticed by follow up comments from the regular users.  When they get that feedback they seem to enjoy it, and come back again later to try it again.  Especially when it's things like name calling and passive aggressive innuendo, that goes on longer than the siren did.  

I find the best way to respond to a thing like that is silence.  If they don't get feed back, they don't get their ego massaged, they don't get the feeling of power over those other users...and sometimes....just sometimes....they go away and bother someone else. 

Just an observation from yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

Ain't that the truth.  I don't know if the someone that played the siren even made a comment or did a drive by and waited to hear the response. It's been my experience on any repeater that when the clowns show up they wish to be entertained and noticed by follow up comments from the regular users.  When they get that feedback they seem to enjoy it, and come back again later to try it again.  Especially when it's things like name calling and passive aggressive innuendo, that goes on longer than the siren did.  

I find the best way to respond to a thing like that is silence.  If they don't get feed back, they don't get their ego massaged, they don't get the feeling of power over those other users...and sometimes....just sometimes....they go away and bother someone else. 

Just an observation from yesterday. 

I would agree.  These jokers don’t play the siren because they want to hear it.  They do it to get a response. A complete lack of response might result in their boredom and moving on to torturing bugs.