OK, It's way past time to be proactive.... Repeater access orientation (Video or ZOOM)

WQWX838

42 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

What's the proper number of response comments on the otherwise quiet repeater network from users once the siren stops?   5?  10?  Less?  More?  

On my ham repeater, zero. We have a hard and fast rule not to respond to or even acknowledge jammers. A response is what they are looking for. It is the reason they do what they do. If no one responds, and if we continue to talk over them as though they don't exist, generally they move on. It may take a few minutes, but they eventually go away. 

2 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

On my ham repeater, zero. We have a hard and fast rule not to respond to or even acknowledge jammers. A response is what they are looking for. It is the reason they do what they do. If no one responds, and if we continue to talk over them as though they don't exist, generally they move on. It may take a few minutes, but they eventually go away. 

That's always the best policy I think.  In my experience ignoring these things seems to work better than the public attempt at shaming them on the air.  It's a good practice.  

So newb question...

If I am setting here listening (monitoring) the linked repeater in my area, and it's quiet, been quiet, and no one seems to be in conversation...is it cool for me to say something like  "WRWI253 monitoring" in hopes of starting a conversation, or "This is WRWI253 eating lunch, who's with me?" 

8 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

If I am setting here listening (monitoring) the linked repeater in my area, and it's quiet, been quiet, and no one seems to be in conversation...is it cool for me to say something like  "WRWI253 monitoring" in hopes of starting a conversation, or "This is WRWI253 eating lunch, who's with me?" 

I don't see why not. I know it's more of a Ham thing but I like it.  There is a guy about 20 miles away that frequently says he is monitoring the GMRS repeater that is on the hill between us. Nice to know he's there if I want to test something new out or whatever. Once I heard him on a Ham freq. while my radio was scanning and he was inquiring about something and I was able to jump on the GMRS repeater (I don't have a Ham lic.) and offer an answer because I knew he'd be there too.

WRUU653 I'm eating breakfast who's with me?

2 hours ago, JoCoBrian said:

So newb question...

Hello JoCoBrian. Yes, that is good manners! Especially given extended dead air time. If a utility user appeared and needed time, of course bow out and there is no problem. Each region and user gang has it's own theme, Yet if there is a planned utility event? It would honestly be a good idea if the repeater owner had a sms message list to tell authorized users that the repeater needed priority for an event. I can list my own needs, yet most of these don't apply for major metro areas. The only caveat I would add is to still try to keep it fairly short if you have a number of utility users sharing.

7 hours ago, JoCoBrian said:

Repeater etiquette question:  Someone decides to play their siren on a other wise quiet linked repeater network for say...10-15 seconds.   What's the proper number of response comments on the otherwise quiet repeater network from users once the siren stops?   5?  10?  Less?  More?  

Well... That is something! I never heard someone do that except on citizens band and amateur radio! Jesus Murphy! There goes the neighborhood. Yes, as the advice from others said, when you hear things like this just walk on...

25 minutes ago, WQWX838 said:

except on citizens band and amateur radio!

We have a jammer who jams several ham repeaters in SoCal, and when he gets bored with those he hits a GMRS repeater or two. He's very recognizable because he uses the same script on all of them. 

On 2/27/2023 at 11:41 AM, marcspaz said:

LOL... no doubt.  Mostly with getting forgiveness from my wife.  LOL

Wondered what you used two portable repeaters for? The reason I have one, and have a lot of portables is for doing survey work and prescribed fire on private land. They get used several times a year, and although it is "old school", many times out of cell network coverage and it allows entire group to stay coordinated at once (safety and efficiency). I have looked at cell phones with built in UHF, yet those are costly, and I would have to buy those for everyone. So I stick with GMRS only, and my portables are ex fire/police issue and durable. Fall on them or drop them and they still work. I I am technically stretching the letter of the law on my GMRS license for this application, yet business band coordination won't work well either. Up until I got a ration of grief on this thread, I had totally forgot about Mursy MURS and I own no quality hardware for that band.

4 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I’m curious. How are you stretching the letter of the law?

33 minutes ago, WQWX838 said:

am technically stretching the letter of the law on my GMRS license

I was also trying to figure this out. Not type 95e Radios? Non licensed people using GMRS channels and repeaters? commercial use? Is that a thing? ?‍♂️ Anything that couldn’t be easily rectified or is a real problem? I’m no radio cop, just curious also as you brought it up. 

6 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I was also trying to figure this out. Not type 95e Radios? Non licensed people using GMRS channels and repeaters? commercial use? Is that a thing? ?‍♂️ Anything that couldn’t be easily rectified or is a real problem? I’m no radio cop, just curious also as you brought it up. 

Yes... While I don't expect trouble considering the range and limited use and interference, the license technically does not include my "unlicensed" people. They are not related to me and are involved as part of another entity or groups (NGO, GO, private parties). Using repeater channels.

Use is minimal, yet I have not found a decent solution around this for use in several states/counties without a massive budget for it. Oh, and as it is known? This happens a lot with other people nationwide. Everyone on this forum has likely heard many worksites on the air. The FCC gets involved when fixed operations report interference. That is the history.

4 minutes ago, WQWX838 said:

Use is minimal, yet I have not found a decent solution around this for use in several states/counties without a massive budget for it

These people could just get their GMRS license. Massive budget? I mean how many people are we talking about? How much you got into all that gear? 

9 minutes ago, WQWX838 said:

This happens a lot with other people nationwide. Everyone on this forum has likely heard many worksites on the air. 

Everyone does it so it's OK, right?

I *do* hear worksites on the "GMRS" frequencies.  They are almost certainly using bubble-pack FRS radios, and they definitely are NOT using a repeater.  Business use on FRS is fine.

Slippery slope here @WQWX838 commercial use, non licensed 

33 minutes ago, WQWX838 said:

The FCC gets involved when fixed operations report interference. That is the history.

What the heck does that mean? Are you seriously telling us you drop in somewhere and cause interference on local repeaters? Oh yeah you’re gonna make some friends here. Okay I realize that's not what you were saying 

like @wrci350 says other people are using bubble packs for worksites and traffic control but not repeaters.This isn't an issue

Edited by WRUU653
to pull the foot out of my mouth

Business use on GMRS is fine as well as long as people are properly licensed.  There's no prohibition against using GMRS for business purposes, but you may not charge someone to use your GMRS station.

§ 95.1731 Permissible GMRS uses.

The operator of a GMRS station may use that station for two-way plain language voice communications with other GMRS stations and with FRS units concerning personal or business activities.

Just now, WRUU653 said:

Thanks @Sshannon I was clearly not aware of that. My mistake.
Obviously the solution is that people should be licensed and perhaps this situation isn’t as egregious as I first thought having re-read @WQWX838 response. apologies. 

One of the grandfathered corporate licenses or association licenses can allow its employees to use their stations and call signs.  Of course no more corporate licenses will be issued under the current rules.

As we all understand, under the current rules, only family members may be allowed to use a licensee's call sign and station(s).

But, I do think it's funny that @WQWX838wishes to implement rules dictating behavior when using GMRS while knowingly violating the actual AHJ's rules for GMRS. 

However, I am guilty of using GMRS before I had a license and I continue to talk to friends who don't have GMRS licenses so I can't shake my finger.

I think we all need to relax a little, including me.

4 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I think we all need to relax a little

I resemble that statement. I certainly jumped to some conclusions that I should not have.  

I do think if you are running a business then put it in the budget to do things correctly. 

As for talking to friends in a rural countryside, I for one don't hold it against you.

Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws.

I mean pretty great right. 

2 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

So by family members...does that mean all family members or just the ones living under your roof at the address on your license? 

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E/section-95.1705

Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws.

There is nothing in Part 95 E about where these folks live.