Which Radio?

Wannabe

Just recently got my GMRS license and joined this group, and now I need to get into a radio (Ive been using a UV-5R as a "scanner only" and something to learn to program on). The radios that I have been looking at are the BTech GMRS pro and the Retevis RT29. I like the big color screen and the bells and whistles of the PRO, and a few guys in my close group are using them, but I like the power and price of the RT29 (I can buy 2 RT29's for the price of one BTech Pro) looking for advice on why one would be better than the other. (I know the Retevis is not Part 95, it would be for "scanning only" and SHTF/emergency comms)

Thanks in advance! 

14 hours ago, Wannabe said:

Just recently got my GMRS license and joined this group, and now I need to get into a radio (Ive been using a UV-5R as a "scanner only" and something to learn to program on). The radios that I have been looking at are the BTech GMRS pro and the Retevis RT29. I like the big color screen and the bells and whistles of the PRO, and a few guys in my close group are using them, but I like the power and price of the RT29 (I can buy 2 RT29's for the price of one BTech Pro) looking for advice on why one would be better than the other. (I know the Retevis is not Part 95, it would be for "scanning only" and SHTF/emergency comms

The black one, get the black one. No the one on the left… ?

but seriously they are two completely different animals. Sure they’re both radios but it’s like saying should I get a Jeep or a motorcycle. I don’t know, what do you want to do? But as you have a license for one maybe that will inform your decision. You will need to figure out what it is you want to do with the radio. Or get both ?

57 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Can you recommend a radio with higher power that won’t disappoint? The main reason I was leaning towards the Retevis was the power. 

One of the things that you’ll quickly learn, either by recommendation here or by use there,  is that power is highly overrated as a predictor of range.  A good receiver that has both sensitivity and selectivity and a good antenna are much much more important than getting an 8 watt output radio versus a 5 watt radio.

Just now, Sshannon said:

One of the things that you’ll quickly learn, either by recommendation here or by use there,  is that power is highly overrated as a predictor of range.  A good receiver that has both sensitivity and selectivity and a good antenna are much much more important than getting an 8 watt output radio versus a 5 watt radio.

Is the difference between 5 watt and 8 watt even noticeable?

1 minute ago, zzz said:

Is the difference between 5 watt and 8 watt even noticeable?

Not usually. Possibly in thick vegetation, but it’s really not enough extra power to make a difference for most circumstances.  

In free space quadrupling the power might get you twice the range. Free space means there’s absolutely nothing between the two stations.

UHF is primarily line of sight and increasing power doesn’t change the curvature of the earth or remove other physical obstacles.

It is rated at 10 watts, but I still think you’ll be surprised at the slight difference in range. Urban areas are difficult.  Are you planning on using it on GMRS?  Or maybe I ought to ask how you’re planning to use it and what kind of range you hope to get?

On the seven interstitial 462 MHz channels you’re limited to 5 watts on a handheld.  On the seven interstitial 467 MHz channels you’re limited to 0.5 watts PEP.  

I would be looking at something like the Wouxun KG-935 for GMRS. 

23 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

It is rated at 10 watts, but I still think you’ll be surprised at the slight difference in range. Urban areas are difficult.  Are you planning on using it on GMRS?  Or maybe I ought to ask how you’re planning to use it and what kind of range you hope to get?

On the seven interstitial 462 MHz channels you’re limited to 5 watts on a handheld.  On the seven interstitial 467 MHz channels you’re limited to 0.5 watts PEP.  

I would be looking at something like the Wouxun KG-935 for GMRS. 

On the plus side, the Wouxun radios have been tested by either bettersaferadios or buytwowayradios (can't remember which) and the wattage matches what they state.
I really like the KG-935G as well.  If you don't want to spend so much, the KG-916 is supposed to be decent (and has a superheterodyne receiver!).  Even cheaper are the KG-905 and KG-805 radios, both with superhet.  The KG-S88G has IP7 waterproofing.  The KG-UV9GX is probably the most featured radio.