Comparison of two radios question

Guest keitht

Guest keitht

I am looking at these two radios. Being a newbie, I am confused on how to compare them. Could someone lay out the differences, in layman's terms between the Wouxun KG-588G and the Wouxun KG-935G?

Thanks!

The KG-S88G is UHF only, it's more basic but uses superheterodyne and has great quality, it's waterproof, and seems rugged in it's build. easy to program in the radio. Chirp is not available for it but if your a windows guy they have their own software. Great for GMRS coms, using on a jeep trip or kayak. No FM, no weather channels. 

The KG-935G is UHF and VHF receive, FM and weather channels. It's going to be better if you want to scan. Not a superheterodyne but still really good quality sound for TX and RX. It's not waterproof. 

both the new KG-935G Plus and the KG-S88G have USB charging but you'll have to remove a plate with screws for the KG-S88G because of the waterproof rating. 

I have both of these and I like them both. I keep the S88G programmed fairly basic and use it for GMRS coms, GMRS scanning and to take out in the world for talking. The 935G Plus is my go to if I want to scan and listen but still be able to communicate but it's not going in the boat with me or in the mud off roading.  I hope this helps. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e0ac656cb76ae48927fffdfa54690eb6.jpeg

21 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

The KG-S88G is UHF only, its more basic but uses superheterodyne and has great quality it's waterproof, and seems rugged in it's build. easy to program in the radio. Chirp is not available for it but if your a windows guy they have their own software. Great for GMRS coms, using on a jeep trip or kayak. No FM, no weather channels 

The KG-935G is UHF and VHF receive, FM and weather channels. It's going to be better if you want to scan. Not a superheterodyne but still really good quality sound for TX and RX. It's not waterproof. 

both the new KG-935G Plus and the KG-S88G have USB charging but you'll have to remove a plate with screws for the KG-S88G because of the waterproof rating. 

I have both of these and I like them both. I keep the S88G programmed fairly basic and use it for GMRS coms, GMRS scanning and to take out in the world for talking. The 935G Plus is my go to if I want to scan and listen but still be able to communicate but it's not going in the boat with me or in the mud off roading.  I hope this helps. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e0ac656cb76ae48927fffdfa54690eb6.jpeg

Well done!

if you intend to use the 935G a lot outdoors, you'll get frustrated really quick with the display.   Just the slightest sunlight will wash out the display making it pretty much impossible to view...  The S88G seems to be a lot better for outdoor use.  However i will say, the 936G is a nice handheld.  I can easily git repeaters 20-25 miles.   

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2023 at 7:28 AM, Guest keitht said:

I am looking at these two radios. Being a newbie, I am confused on how to compare them. Could someone lay out the differences, in layman's terms between the Wouxun KG-588G and the Wouxun KG-935G?

Thanks!

The better question being, How do you even pronounce that?

2 hours ago, WRWE744 said:

The better question being, How do you even pronounce that?

Prefaced with "I Am Not A competent Chinese speaker":

I spent several months in Bejing and surrounding cities a few years ago, and had a lot of trouble with pronouncing words from their English transliterations, so I asked a lot of people to help me nail individual words down.  In doing so, I acquired some slight facility at pronouncing Mandarin words from transliterations.  My best take on "Wouxun" would be something like "Wuu - zhuhn" - where the "uu" is kinda part-way between "oo" and "uh". And since it's impossible to get inflections from a transliteration like that, the best bet would be to pronounce it as flatly as possible, with no difference in emphasis between the two syllables...