Simplex Repeater Controller

markskjerve

Question

I'm looking at picking up a Surecom SR-112 simplex repeater controller (https://www.surecom.com.hk/product-page/surecom-sr-112-simplex-repeater-controller) just for giggles. Just wanted something that I can use to test my radio and antenna's range by myself by driving around between my base and mobile and this looks like it might do the trick. Anybody have one or can recommend something similar? Reviews on this one are all over the place.  

13 answers to this question

You're welcome. Just remember, it appears to be against the rules, being store-forward device. Be considerate to others, do not deploy it without the tones (radio should have RX tone set). I program it to not repeat at all till DTMF "0" is sent to it. So, most of the time it does not pollute airwaves with unneeded noise, and only repeats when asked to do so.

24 minutes ago, axorlov said:

You're welcome. Just remember, it appears to be against the rules, being store-forward device. Be considerate to others, do not deploy it without the tones (radio should have RX tone set). I program it to not repeat at all till DTMF "0" is sent to it. So, most of the time it does not pollute airwaves with unneeded noise, and only repeats when asked to do so.

Which rule prohibits store-and-forward for GMRS? 

95.587(d) prohibits it for FRS, but I don't find something similar in part E.  I could easily be overlooking it.

1 hour ago, axorlov said:

I'll run a PL tone but don't plan to leave it setup for more than a hour or two at a time. Main plan is to use it on the base station and drive over to the park and test my HT's. I've got three different brand of HT's and stubby, normal, clone Nagoya, real Nagoya, and N9TAX Slim Jim antenna's for them. Want to test them for range and audio quality then move to another park a bit further away until everything is out of range. Once done testing I'll remove it. Just wanted a way to test things in the field without assistance.

2 minutes ago, markskjerve said:

I'll run a PL tone but don't plan to leave it setup for more than a hour or two at a time. Main plan is to use it on the base station and drive over to the park and test my HT's. I've got three different brand of HT's and stubby, normal, clone Nagoya, real Nagoya, and N9TAX Slim Jim antenna's for them. Want to test them for range and audio quality then move to another park a bit further away until everything is out of range. Once done testing I'll remove it. Just wanted a way to test things in the field without assistance.

I do something very similar on ham 70 cm, using DMR.  You can either transmit to a talkgroup called "Parrot" and then listen for your transmission repeated back or you can look at a dashboard and see the actual S value as you hit the repeater.

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

I do something very similar on ham 70 cm, using DMR.  You can either transmit to a talkgroup called "Parrot" and then listen for your transmission repeated back or you can look at a dashboard and see the actual S value as you hit the repeater.

I'll assume it will become another tool (or toy depends on how you look at it) to play with. Kinda like my NanoVNA - great tool for the money to have around but only gets used every other month or so. The same will be probably be true for the simplex repeater but when I want to test something it would be nice to have around.

I picked up the simplex repeater and decided to give my HT's a test for range this morning before installing the new mast to check how much height will weigh in once installed. I need to get my base antenna mounted higher, have a 35ft mast but haven't had a chance to put it up yet.

Home setup KG1000+, Comet GP-6 antenna approx 13ft off the ground, Argent Data ADS-SR1 Simplex repeater.
HT 1 is a Wouxun KG-935G (non plus, direct conversion) tested with the stock and a Nagoya NA-771G antenna
HT 2 is a TYT MD-380 superhet with a kinda stubby and a NA-771 clone style antenna - both came in the box with the radio
Also used a Wouxun hand mic for both the HT's

Drove over to a park 1.2 miles away...
Both radios worked fine with the shorter antennas so moved on

Drove to another park 2.5 miles away with a bit of a hill between the base station and the park...
The TYT with the longer antenna was a bit noisy but readable in the car, the Wouxun could key with the Nagoya but audio chopped in and out.
Outside of the car on the picnic bench the KG-935 could key the repeater on the shorter antenna but no audio at all when held close to my head not using the hand mic. When held out at a distance with the hand mic audio would chop in and out. With the Nagoya near my head without a hand mic audio was dirty but readable. When held out a bit with the hand mic it was fine. The MD-380's short antenna worked but was dirty when near my head without a hand mic but when held out with a hand mic it was clean. The long antenna worked fine near the head without a hand mic or exteded with a hand mic.

Strange results, I expected a bit better out of the 935G with it's longer factory antenna and a brand name hi gain one but it does to the job. I do have a 2nd 935G but didn't bring it with me for testing. I guess it could be the direct conversion vs superhet but don't know. It should be interesting to retest with the antenna up another 25ft at the base.

tyt.JPG

1 hour ago, coderkid said:

Could you please let me know where in Part 95 it is written?

Thank you in advance.

For MURS it’s very clear:

§ 95.2733 Prohibited MURS uses.

MURS stations must not be operated as repeater stations or signal boosters. This prohibition includes store-and-forward packet operation.

For FRS there’s a similar prohibition that says:

(d) Packet mode. FRS transmitter types must not be capable of transmitting data in the store-and-forward packet operation mode. 

Perhaps the reference to packet here only applies to data?

Ok, "Packet Mode" and GMRS "Simplex repeaters" a two different animals.  Your correct  with the MURS channels and FRS are channels have many many limits within GMRS radios. So a simplex repeater operating on just GMRS channels only should be ok.  GMRS rules state "Duplex repeater" have dedicated channels using to different frequencies. Simplex is technically a single channel being repeater But only using one channel. Current example; the new Btech pro is able to transmit Data (packet information). But NOT on GMRS dedicated repeater channels, as well and NOT on FMS dedicated channels.