Baofeng Radios

WRVZ612

I've did both a few months ago when learning which radios best fit my gmrs needs.  I find way more use out of a grms radio that's already set up with the "standard" 22 simplex channels and 8 repeater channels than taking a blank ham radio and setting it up from scratch.  I mostly use my radios for simplex comes with my team with occasional repeater use.  I'm am often in a situation where the group is mixed gmrs and frs so being able to tell the group, "We are using channel _____."  today is just quicker and easier.

I have a UV5R-X3, which is actually a tri band radio. I bought it for my trek into 2 meter. I've only been listening, so I can't comment on performance. Maybe I just don't know any better, I don't know.

I also have a Radioddity GA 30. Seems to work well, I've only used it simplex talking to my daughter down at her camper. Anytone AT-77UV mobile is on the way. That's a dual band. I almost went with a single band 2 meter Yeasu but I wanted the GMRS capability too. Maybe down the road I'll go with a better one. I also have an Anytone 6666 for 10 and 11 meter. Sorry to ramble, again, I don't know any better. ? ?

10 hours ago, jeffsimmons1960 said:

I have a UV5R-X3, which is actually a tri band radio. I bought it for my trek into 2 meter. I've only been listening, so I can't comment on performance. Maybe I just don't know any better, I don't know.

I have the Btech version which I use as a cheap scanner at the office. It's OK.

Another CCR, Cheap Chinese Radio, is the TYT TH-350 tri-band. For $70 I think it's better than the UV5R-X3 and Btech copy. I use one at home as a cheap scanner. One thing about the radios is the back light. It's so bright you can use it as a flashlight, and it's NOT adjustable in brightness.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/tyt-th-350.html

If I were to recommend a CCR for a new Ham it would be the TH-350. Once you get settled and have a better idea of what you want and operate you can start looking at the more expensive stuff. Many people here use older, and new, commercial radios. My self I have a lot of used Kenwood analog and analog/digital mode portable radios. Those by the way are usually single band radios. There is a way to run multiple "RF Decks" using a single control. There is a thread here for one such mobile install, neat and impressive.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/5521-new-install-dual-astro-xtl5000-vhf-uhf-110w/#comment-55274

If you're looking at any of the digital voice modes, System Fusion and D-Star, they are Amateur only modes. The other main digital modes are DMR, NXDN and P25 are typically commercial voice modes and are also found on the Amateur bands. In particular DMR is popular followed by P25 then NXDN.

DMR radios can be found in both Amateur and commercial model radios. The DMR and NXDN radios are usually reasonably priced if you shop around. There are no Amateur type radios for P25 and NXDN so your only choice is new/used commercial radios. P25 radios you'll likely get raped on the price, but some good deals do show up occasionally.

The usual manufactures you'll see for commercial radios are primarily Motorola, JVCKenwood (EF Johnson - Viking - Kenwood) and Icom followed by Vertex, Hytera and Harris. I'm sure I missed a few others. With some of the manufactures being purchased by others, with name changes at times, it sort of hard to keep straight who is who without a score card.

16 minutes ago, Lscott said:

If I were to recommend a CCR for a new Ham it would be the TH-350. Once you get settled and have a better idea of what you want and operate you can start looking at the more expensive stuff. Many people here use older, and new, commercial radios. My self I have a lot of used Kenwood analog and analog/digital mode portable radios. Those by the way are usually single band radios. There is a way to run multiple "RF Decks" using a single control. There is a thread here for one such mobile install, neat and impressive.

QRZ and Gigaparts are offering new hams a great 2M 440 handheld for less than $15. 

QRZ New Ham Jumpstart Program

This program is only available to Amateur Radio Operators whose (first) FCC license was issued within the past 6 months.

This program is designed to promote amateur radio to the masses, helping to eliminate a possible barrier to entry by providing new hams with everything they'll need to get on the air at a very reasonable price. Jumpstart Packages will be provided to new hams who meet eligibility requirements. 

New hams who have recently obtained their first license from the FCC may apply for a welcome package. Applicants must apply within 6 months of the license grant date per the FCC records.

The eligible ham must have a QRZ user account and be able to log in and apply for the program. Certain types of identification, including a photo ID, will be required. This information is not shared or exchanged with any party and is used only to validate eligibility under this program. Additional shipping charges may apply when shipped outside of the contiguous 48 states.

This program is available exclusively to USA licensed amateur radio operators.

New Ham Jumpstart Program - QRZ.com

27 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Is it just me or does the notion of a "dual band" GMRS handheld seem a bit odd? GMRS is one band. ?

But you must not have known about the Tera TR-505 dual band GMRS radio with "Optional (MURS) VHF license free channels" if you buy the programming cable (obviously sarcasm)....
https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr505-gmrs-recreational-handheld-radio

1 hour ago, markskjerve said:

But you must not have known about the Tera TR-505 dual band GMRS radio with "Optional (MURS) VHF license free channels" if you buy the programming cable (obviously sarcasm)....
https://powerwerx.com/tera-tr505-gmrs-recreational-handheld-radio

Dang I was hoping there was a double-secret little-known second GMRS band that only a select few folks had access to with highly-specialized highly-technical dual-band radio equipment like the UV-9G! My bubble is now burst. Bursted? Kinda reminds me of when General Motors stuck a Cimarron sticker on a Cavalier and called it a Cadillac.

10 hours ago, Lscott said:

I have the Btech version which I use as a cheap scanner at the office. It's OK.

Another CCR, Cheap Chinese Radio, is the TYT TH-350 tri-band. For $70 I think it's better than the UV5R-X3 and Btech copy. I use one at home as a cheap scanner. One thing about the radios is the back light. It's so bright you can use it as a flashlight, and it's NOT adjustable in brightness.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/tyt-th-350.html

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/5521-new-install-dual-astro-xtl5000-vhf-uhf-110w/#comment-55274

If you're looking at any of the digital voice modes, System Fusion and D-Star, they are Amateur only modes. The other main digital modes are DMR, NXDN and P25 are typically commercial voice modes and are also found on the Amateur bands. In particular DMR is popular followed by P25 then NXDN.

DMR radios can be found in both Amateur and commercial model radios. The DMR and NXDN radios are usually reasonably priced if you shop around. There are no Amateur type radios for P25 and NXDN so your only choice is new/used commercial radios. P25 radios you'll likely get raped on the price, but some good deals do show up occasionally.

The usual manufactures you'll see for commercial radios are primarily Motorola, JVCKenwood (EF Johnson - Viking - Kenwood) and Icom followed by Vertex, Hytera and Harris. I'm sure I missed a few others. With some of the manufactures being purchased by others, with name changes at times, it sort of hard to keep straight who is who without a score card.

Thanks, good info there. I figured I'd start out cheap, and move up. We use Kenwoods at work in our trucks on UHF, they run 24/7 and are indestructible. The only issues we have with them are mic wires and connectors, which is understandable because they are constantly in use, swinging back and forth, etc.

7 hours ago, Lscott said:

The good old Iron Duke 2.5. How about that 350 converted to diesel that they put in everything from Sevilles, C10s, and Oldmobile station wagons? You could hear them coming 6 blocks away.