Baofeng Radios

WRVZ612

What are your opinions on Baofeng radios? I find them to be weak, under modulated and muffled on transmit. The recieve is prone to interference from nearby signals much more so than higher quality more expensive radios. I have found this on both Ham and GMRS. Now, I know that because of their low cost, they are something that could get someone on the air who is on a tight budget and could be considered a starter radio, just to be fair about it.

They are nothing but cheap Chinese junk!  Anyone that uses one is not as smart as I am!

...just wanted to get that out of the way right up front..

I own several different model BoofWhangs and most of them offer great bang for the buck.  Anyone that compares a $20-$50 Baofeng to a radio that costs much more (as done in this forum all the time) AND expects it to perform just as well is a fool and should be ignored.

Edited by OffRoaderX
added the AND part....

? To each his own. I started with one of those BF-F8 HP. Nobody complained about my signal. Actually people said I sounded pretty good and asked what I was using. That said, I am well within the range of the repeater I use. Can't say how they are on a simplex conversation. I have found that everything depends on the distance to the repeater. If your not in range because of terrain or distance even the most expensive top of the line radio sounds like crap. My Baofengs are for the most part retired. I'll take one with me in the boat and out and about the neighborhood to stay in touch with my wife at home. But I graduated to another cheap Chinese radio in the car and  as a base. Those talk almost full quiet. ?  Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, WRVZ612 said:

What are your opinions on Baofeng radios?

After being disappointed by one, or more, you learn why people spend a lot more money on better radios soon after. I have a buddy at work that purchased several Baofengs for GMRS. I got him to spend money on a good clean Kenwood TK-3170 commercial radio.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/263-tk-3170jpg/

Since he started using the Kenwood he doesn't bother with the Baofengs, and comments how the Kenwood works better.

With these cheap Chinese radios, CCR's, you get what you pay for, and maybe not even that is some cases. ?

1 hour ago, WRVZ612 said:

I find them to be weak, under modulated and muffled on transmit.

I bought a UV5R when they came out maybe ten years ago. (guessing). It died a couple years back. I bought another one two weeks ago just to toss in the car. I'll tell you what. For the $23 delivered I paid for it on Scamazon, I'm impressed. The first ones had low audio unless you drilled out the mic hole. The signal strength meter was useless. But ten years later, big difference. Last week I did a blind test with my Yaesu FT-70 vs the UV5R with a couple of people on my repeater. Not only could they not tell which radio was which, the edge went to the UV5R. The signal strength meter actually varies with signal strength. And in terms of battery life, hands-down the Baofeng wins. I haven't charged it for almost two weeks and it's still almost fully-charged, and used every day. The FT-70 can't compete. That said, there's things that the Yaesu has that the UV5R doesn't. Alphanumeric memory programming from the keypad. Automatic repeater offset. Digital capability. Slightly more meaningful squelch settings. Slightly better receiver. The list goes on. But I will say this. The UV5R is $23. The FT-70 is $175. But with the FT-70, I am not getting a handheld dual-band transceiver that is almost eight times better than the UV5R. Conversly, I'm not getting a junk radio that performs at a level less than 20% of the Yaesu.  Not only that, but at least as of March 5, 2023, you can still unlock a UV5R with button presses, something you can only do with the FT-70 by physically damaging the circuit board. The UV5R is probably the most popular dual-band handheld radio in the world. And looking at the images from Ukraine, it's even battle-tested. And people still trash-talk them. I don't get it.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Anyone that compares a $20-$50 Baofeng to a radio that costs much more is a fool and should be ignored.

I put it to you that anyone who compares a $20-$50 Baofeng to a radio that costs much more and expects it to perform like that radio that costs much more is the fool. Those are the people you need to watch out for.

2 hours ago, WRVZ612 said:

What are your opinions on Baofeng radios? I find them to be weak, under modulated and muffled on transmit. The recieve is prone to interference from nearby signals much more so than higher quality more expensive radios. I have found this on both Ham and GMRS. Now, I know that because of their low cost, they are something that could get someone on the air who is on a tight budget and could be considered a starter radio, just to be fair about it.

They're inexpensive, but they seem to work to introduce folks to radio use.  I would expect all of the negative characteristics you listed, but sometimes they work surprisingly well.  I have no problem with folks who buy and use them and I have a couple UV5Rs myself that I bought to see what all the ruckus was.  I also have some Yaesu handheld amateur radios and a Garmin GMRS radio that are better radios, but for the price difference they should be. The Baofengs desense when placed next to a transmitting radio.  The Yaesus do not. I haven't tested power output on any of them.

I have a few Wouxun radios and they're great but so is my Boefeng UV-9G and GT-3WP. They don't cost much and after dialing in the squelch they perform nicely. I don't have to worry about damaging an expensive radio if I take them hiking and I like that they have a little more pause time before continuing to scan in CO than my KG-935G Plus and quite frankly the battery fits tighter than my 935 as well. People here bag on Baofeng all day long but I have never gotten a complaint on the other end and they have their purpose.  I can only speak to the two models I have but I would add that putting people down for having what they can afford because you can afford more doesn't make you better.

Not that anyone here does that...

Edited by WRUU653

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

The Baofengs desense when placed next to a transmitting radio

One thing I noticed about the UV5R is that the one I bought back in around 2013 had better receive characteristics. The new one tends to drop out more with weaker signals. A Signal Stick antenna helps, but who wants to walk around with a 19" antenna on a 4" tall radio. I even re-wrote the squelch settings using the CHIRP service settings tab, which only helped a little.

Everyone should get the UV5R. Overtime you learn what you want and you'll eventually get the Wouxun UV9PX. It really is ten times the better radio, but going in, you don't know or understand what makes a radio better than another. Yaesu should take a good look at how the UV9PX is laid out and make some adjustments to their lineup.

1 hour ago, pcradio said:

Everyone should get the UV5R. Overtime you learn what you want and you'll eventually get the Wouxun UV9PX. It really is ten times the better radio, but going in, you don't know or understand what makes a radio better than another. Yaesu should take a good look at how the UV9PX is laid out and make some adjustments to their lineup.

This makes me want to check out the Wouxun.  The Yaesu radios work well, but their front panel programming is not definitely intuitive.

If nothing else they make for a great rechargeable FM radio that has a flashlight. When the power goes out I listen to the FM radio and I've grown to love my BAOFENG radios.

I have two GT-5TP and a UV-9R and if they went dead today I would immediately purchase some more.  

100% anecdotal, I personally have had great luck with the handhelds, especially my BF-F8HP.  The mobiles, not so much. Though the BTech brand seems to be making moves in the right direction, based on some recent reviews I've seen on newer HTs and mobiles.

For the most part, if you are trying to save money, it's hard to be the price for what you're getting. 

14 hours ago, pcradio said:

Yaesu should take a good look at how the UV9PX is laid out

Yaesu should also look at how their HTs chew through batteries. My UV5R is on the charger now almost two weeks after its last charge. I'm lucky to get a couple of days out of a Yaesu. Don't get me wrong, in a lot of ways the Yaesu is the superior radio, and it better be for what I paid, but having to charge it after a day's hiking and a few contacts on the trail, that's a problem.

@WRQC527, the FT-70 chews up batteries.  I sold mine within a few weeks of getting it.  The FT-3D and FT-5D have much better battery use and standby times.

I used my FT-3DR as a remote net control operator (via my xband repeater in the truck) for a Marine Corps Marathon event.  I was non-stop slammed for 5 hours, 50% duty cycle, at 5w.  It also has about 6 weeks standby, with the battery in the radio, before the voltage drops to 7.2vdc.  With the battery disconnected from the radio, I have no idea how long the storage time is, but I know it's more than 6 months, because that is the longest I ever went between charges on my spares.  Even then, they were above 7.2vdc, and I just charged them for an event.

My opinion is that Baofengs serve as a great entry-level product (gateway drug) to generate new interest and new users (buyers).  It is those buyers who will go on to buy more advanced (higher cost) products, keeping the "better" manufacturers afloat into the future

If entry-level radios were all of exceptional quality, but cost $700, there would be very, very few future buyers and the companies (Kenwood) that produce higher-quality radios would simply die off.

• 3 weeks later...