Jump to content
  • 0

Mounting base antenna in a tree


WRTZ750

Question

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

There are literally thousands of hams who attach antennas to trees, but most of them are wire antennas.  How you attach the antenna to the tree will determine whether it damages the tree.  There are straps to minimize damage to the tree.

Here's a link to a forum thread in another forum talking about this.  One person said that TV reception suffered, but it's important to understand that TV signals are much wider band and more susceptible to problems than our analog voice signals.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/antenna-mast-in-tree.198967/

I wouldn't hesitate to do it.  If it doesn't work, then you look at your second choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
11 hours ago, Sshannon said:

There are literally thousands of hams who attach antennas to trees, but most of them are wire antennas.  How you attach the antenna to the tree will determine whether it damages the tree.  There are straps to minimize damage to the tree.

Here's a link to a forum thread in another forum talking about this.  One person said that TV reception suffered, but it's important to understand that TV signals are much wider band and more susceptible to problems than our analog voice signals.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/antenna-mast-in-tree.198967/

I wouldn't hesitate to do it.  If it doesn't work, then you look at your second choice.

A few people have used a wood utility pole as a cheap antenna tower. Of course the issue is lighting protection and how do you get the antenna up there and service it later. You can use either certified climbing gear, or better rent a bucket truck for a few hours.

Oh yes, you will sooner or later have to check/repair/replace the antenna and cable, maybe more than once, at some point. This goes for any place you put your antenna. That might change your mind on the mounting location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
32 minutes ago, Lscott said:

A few people have used a wood utility pole as a cheap antenna tower. Of course the issue is lighting protection and how do you get the antenna up there and service it later. You can use either certified climbing gear, or better rent a bucket truck for a few hours.

Oh yes, you will sooner or later have to check/repair/replace the antenna and cable, maybe more than once, at some point. This goes for any place you put your antenna. That might change your mind on the mounting location.

You’re absolutely right. With wire antennas it’s easy enough to leave a pulley and rope attachment on the pole for lowering and raising the antenna periodically, but that’s difficult to do with a mast or beam type antenna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
27 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

You’re absolutely right. With wire antennas it’s easy enough to leave a pulley and rope attachment on the pole for lowering and raising the antenna periodically, but that’s difficult to do with a mast or beam type antenna.

With a utility pole, if installed right, you don't need a big cement base to anchor it like you would with a more traditional metal tower.

I had a discussion with a coffee group buddy about a tower recommendation for his house. I suggested a 30 to 40 foot tubular crank-up design. Those you normally don't need guy wires. Being a crank up tower they can be lowered enough that a step ladder can be used to access the top for maintenance. Also when very strong storms roll in the tower can be lowered to minimize or eliminate potential damage from high winds.

Also some neighbors may not like looking at the tower either. You don't want your house to look like something out of the X-Files. Keeping it down when not in use can promote better neighbor relations too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Effort is a gross understatement
back story..... not enough room for a fall zone , too much BS to put up a 125' tower. Have ~100' pine trees in strong health condition. Hire tree guy and he thinks I'm nuts but he's getting paid. Put the whole antenna ,pipe and cable attached together on the ground. strain relieved and stressed the cable before having it hoisted and mounted as one piece.
My only mistake in the was cheeping out on the antenna. So far it has served me well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.