Global Reach On HF - Friends Made

marcspaz

I have been keeping a logbook of people that I speak to on the radio.  I have been licensed for 2 decades, but used HF very infrequently up until the COVID19 pandemic started.  Starting in 2019 to now, it has been a fun 3 years since I have started using HF regularly.

My favorite part is the new friends and acquaintances I have met around the world. Two good friends... Lauro Zanoli in Italy and Helio De Olivera in Brazil. My acquaintances Janez and Slovko Celarc in Slovenia, Ross Biggar in New Zealand, Javier Salazar in Costa Rica, Chris Taylor in Wales, just to name a few.

Amateur Radio in the US is a dying field. I wanted to share this information to encourage more people... younger people to give the radio a try. Maybe get into it as a hobby, using it as a tool for community service, or even just to make a few new friends.

Using HF radio I have spoken to people in every state in the US and on every continent around the globe. This is a list of countries and distant US states/territories where I have chatted with people on the radio... some from home, some while driving to work. A total of 97 distant lands and all of the US.  Hopefully someone finds it interesting.

Alaska
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Aruba
Australia
Austria
Azores
Bahamas
Barbados
Belarus
Belgium
Belize
Bermuda
Bonaire
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
Canary Islands
Cape Verde
Cayman Islands
Ceuta and Melilla
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Cuba
Curacao
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
England
Estonia
Finland
France
French Guiana
Germany
Greece
Guadeloupe
Guyana
Haiti
Hawaii
Honduras
Hungary
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Madeira Island
Malta
Martinique
Mexico
Montserrat
Morocco
Netherlands
New Caledonia
New Zealand
Northern Ireland
Panama
Paraguay
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Sardinia
Scotland
Serbia
Slovak Republic
Slovenia
South Africa
South Cook Islands
Spain
St Helena Island
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Martin
St. Maarten
Suriname
Svalbard
Sweden
Switzerland
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
Ukraine
United States
Uruguay
US Virgin Islands
Venezuela
Wales

Very cool!  That's a good number of countries.

I was being lazy one night on the radio in VA, tuning up my audio.  I didn't feel like doing the extra work of running the dummy load, so I turned my power all the way down, which is 0.4w.  While I was doing my audio testing, I was using my call sign and saying things to make the adjustments.  When I let the key up, I guy from Ohio came back to me saying he had a great copy on me and the audio sounded really good.  He asked what mic I was using... ended up chatting for about 10 minutes, to Ohio, on 0.4w.  It was mind-blowing.

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

Using HF radio I have spoken to people in every state in the US and on every continent around the globe.

Nice. I'm 5 states away from working all 50 states. I've also contacted Japan, Australia, South America, eastern Europe, Canada and Mexico. Not nearly as many countries as you, but I'll get there. I've only been doing HF for a couple years. 

6 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

10, 12 & 15 meters have been killer, even way into the dark hours. I even got one 2m FT8 contact, and 6m has been open more often than usual.

Yeah man, no doubt.  I worked a station outside of Moscow at 1:00 AM ET on 20m. Worked South Africa at 8:30 PM on 10m. Very happy with that.