Inline Booster

shevo7385

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes, but mainly for hand helds. Btech makes one. The input voltage is usually set to 1 watt or less.

For mobiles, yes they sell amplifiers. But the radio needs to put out about the same wattage as handheld and most radios that put out more then 20watts can't be lowered enough

Normally, it is easier to get a more powerful mobile. Gmrs is already limited to 50 watts, which really is enough. Hell with a good antenna system you could get away with about 20 watts 80-90% of the time.

The question I want answered is why are you asking?

So, maybe I missed something.  Why are we down on this person for asking this question?

Shevo,

A linear amplifier is the type of device that increases the power output of a transmitter. There are a few that work with GMRS radios and are compliant with the regulations, but generally speaking just buying a 50 watt rated radio will be much simpler. 

59 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

So, maybe I missed something.  Why are we down on this person for asking this question?

You’re right. 

55 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Wasn't trying to be down on the op. Maybe bad wording.

Yeah I think I’m the one at fault here. I read into this far more than I should.  I apologize. I should have taken the question at face value.  Respectfully if @shevo7385 is looking for more power than GMRS and as stated in another thread is interested in coast to coast ham would be a good option. 

3 hours ago, shevo7385 said:

Is there a simple, plug-and-play way to boost the power going to the antenna in terms of wattage? Perhaps something in the coax line running to the antenna such as a signal amplifier?

They do. However the ones I’ve seen are designed more for boosting the power output from a hand held radio in the 2 to 5 watt range. I have one myself since I have a rather large collection of handheld radios so it works for me.

As mentioned by others if you are using a real mobile radio your best bet is just get one with a 45 to 50 watt output and skip thinking about amps.