Linking Repeaters

shevo7385

Question

If you have a repeater on the east coast and one on the west coast. How do you connect them via internet to one another so when the east coast repeater receives a signal it gets sent and broadcast from the west coast repeater and vice versa? How would you do it with a Bridgecom Systems bcr-40du? Do they have built in capability for this such as an ethernet port? Also, what service would you use to handle the transmission of the signals as far as the web is concerned?

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, shevo7385 said:

If you have a repeater on the east coast and one on the west coast. How do you connect them via internet to one another so when the east coast repeater receives a signal it gets sent and broadcast from the west coast repeater and vice versa? How would you do it with a Bridgecom Systems bcr-40du? Do they have built in capability for this such as an ethernet port? Also, what service would you use to handle the transmission of the signals as far as the web is concerned?

Shevo,

what you’re proposing would require something like an AllStar device connected between the repeater and your internet router. It’s like a PiStar hotspot. 
It does all the heavy lifting. I don’t know enough about how to set them up to get into details, but it would be very easy in ham radio to set it up using a pair of pi*star hotspots. 

Okay I clearly edited my post. As my first statement was not helpful.

I don’t know how to go about exactly what you are asking but you could link to Zello and have transmission from your repeater be broadcast on the Zello app. I don’t have personal experience with this but Notarubicon aka @OffRoaderX has some videos on the subject. 

Edited by WRUU653

5 hours ago, CogentRadios said:

Looking for some info myself. I have all the equip needed and getting the software lined out but having trouble figuring out where to get the node# from?

It would depend on whose network you're trying to join.  They would assign it.  If you're trying to join the MyGMRS network, go to this site: https://network.mygmrs.com/ and register and see if you can get the attention of @rdunajewski.  I suspect he's the guy who assigns node numbers.

On 4/23/2023 at 7:36 PM, Sshannon said:

It would depend on whose network you're trying to join.  They would assign it.  If you're trying to join the MyGMRS network, go to this site: https://network.mygmrs.com/ and register and see if you can get the attention of @rdunajewski.  I suspect he's the guy who assigns node numbers.

Thank you, I have reached out. I have a server and trying to install Allstarlink, running into a bit of a headace with that.

1 minute ago, CogentRadios said:

Thank you, I have reached out. I have a server and trying to install Allstarlink, running into a bit of a headace with that.

Best of luck to you.  I’m no expert on Allstarlink, but there are some on the forums here who have a working knowledge. I suggest describing the problems that are giving you a headache. 

You can use svxlink on a raspberry pi (if you can find one?) and a behringer UCA222 (for audio) to link two repeaters directly. SVXLink is really really good- but it is not easy to use.

The developers recently added svxreflector, so you could build a network. Again, its not easy to setup but its very very powerful. If you go this route let me know- i'm going to be building a linking system for my repeater and will run a reflector. I don't know who i would link with at this point tho.

42 minutes ago, WRQG930 said:

You can use svxlink on a raspberry pi (if you can find one?) and a behringer UCA222 (for audio) to link two repeaters directly. SVXLink is really really good- but it is not easy to use.

The developers recently added svxreflector, so you could build a network. Again, its not easy to setup but its very very powerful. If you go this route let me know- i'm going to be building a linking system for my repeater and will run a reflector. I don't know who i would link with at this point tho.

Pi’s are much easier to get now.  I got two of them at the right prices (not scalpers).  But you can only order one at a time.  First, watch rpilocator to see when they come in.

Second, sign up at the official resellers like Adafruit to be notified when the models you want are in stock.  You’ll get one notification; order it immediately.  Do not dilly-dally.  Quantities are limited. I got another notification just a couple days ago, but I don’t need any more.