Setting up Zello

WRWI208

Question

I am currently trying to setup a Zello link. I have tried repeater controllers, but I am having the most luck with a ground loop isolator connecting my android device to the radio. I really want to use old android phones because they are cheap, small, and I want to make a few Zello boxes. 

Radio_box3.thumb.jpg.11bcbd696503da1874a9749d5e022372.jpg

I can receive and transmit to Zello via the UV-5R when I first turn them on. But after a little usage I can no longer get the radio to broadcast the audio from Zello.

The input from the radio to Zello seems to be more stable, and I can generally hear radio audio over Zello.

Radio_box4.thumb.jpg.df353cf993777da3512accaedd20957a.jpg

I have checked the android phone settings and disabled power saving for Zello, gave it full permissions, and have Zello set to always be on top.

Radio_box2.thumb.jpg.110fed9ec2c3e03cb822123227d38fec.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions/advice, I sure would be grateful! Could there be some sort of buffering issue? I am all out of ideas.

Radio_box6.thumb.jpg.cf984e3c92e04e87b57745a7f0dea38e.jpg

Thank you,

Matt WRWI208

7 answers to this question

Not to sound critical but your using junk to accomplish something. With those USB power adapters, adapter for power on radio, absolutely no shielding in a $25 radio all jammed in a box im not surprised at all. Also not knowing where the "antenna" is or what it is may also be causing the issue.

First thing I would do is get all the stuff laid on a table or bench and let it cook for a couple days. 

On 4/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, Sshannon said:

If restarting the Zella app on the phone allows it to work again it could be a memory leak or a buffer filling up.

Yup - my guess is it's something with the phone itself. I'm kinda knee-deep in the same exercise. I did notice with mine a few days ago that 'notifications' would throw the zello connection off. Shut down what I could in the old phone's setting's and limited to running zello - we shall see. When it works, it works great lol 

5 hours ago, rivrrat said:

Yup - my guess is it's something with the phone itself. I'm kinda knee-deep in the same exercise. I did notice with mine a few days ago that 'notifications' would throw the zello connection off. Shut down what I could in the old phone's setting's and limited to running zello - we shall see. When it works, it works great lol 

Yeah and stretching the components out to cut-out any RFI from proximity unfortunately didn't change the results. Trying my 3rd android phone now. It would be great to recycle these old phones into something useful! But I am starting to lean towards trying a raspberry pi knock-off next for a more stable gateway.

For cleaning up the phone, I used "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-2-9-18.2317790/

It allows you to clean out bloatware, tweak it, and debug android devices. It is command-line based, but not too complicated.

Just now, WRWI208 said:

Yeah and stretching the components out to cut-out any RFI from proximity unfortunately didn't change the results. Trying my 3rd android phone now. It would be great to recycle these old phones into something useful! But I am starting to lean towards trying a raspberry pi knock-off next for a more stable gateway.

For cleaning up the phone, I used "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-minimal-adb-and-fastboot-2-9-18.2317790/

It allows you to clean out bloatware, tweak it, and debug android devices. It is command-line based, but not too complicated.

Raspberry Pi are becoming available. I recently bought a Pi Zero W for $15 and a Pi 3A+ for $27. You just have to sign up to be notified at the various approved sellers.