Having trouble programing a repeater into a UV9G using Chirp.

WRWT868

Question

I am trying to program a local repeater in Mobile, AL, namely the Mobile AL WRUU567 repeater into a UV9G using Chirp.. With no success. I can key up the repeater but cannot hear it. I cannot hear it when others are talking on it. But, I hear it perfectly well on my scanner, but not on the UV9G. 

The repeater has a 423 DPL Input Tone and a 141.3 Hz Output Tone. 

I have the following perimeters set up in Chirp

Frequency   Name          Tone Mode   Tone Squelch    DTCS   DTCS Polarity   Cross Mode           Duplex     Offset    Mode    Power
462.675       MOB675     Cross            141.3                 423        NN                     DTCS->Tone          +              5.000     FM        High

Is something set wrong? If so how do I fix it? It's an open repeater. 

16 answers to this question

13 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

@Sshannon’s recommendation is good, get rid of the RX tones at least until you know you are hitting the repeater.  I think you have your input and output tones swapped. Just in case it helps which UV9G? Baofeng or Wouxun?

I did solve the problem using the keyboard, it seems Chirp set menu item 10 (R-DSC) to D423 instead of off. Once I found that issue and set R-DSC off everything works the way it should. I don't know if setting T-DSC to 423 NN in Chirp causes R-DSC to be set to 423 and is a bug in the program or what, but after two days of taring my hair out everything is now working correctly.

I did solve the problem using the keyboard, it seems Chirp set menu item 10 (R-DSC) to D423 instead of off. Once I found that issue and set R-DSC off everything works the way it should. I don't know if setting T-DSC to 423 NN in Chirp causes R-DSC to be set to 423 and is a bug in the program or what, but after two days of taring my hair out everything is now working correctly.

14 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Get rid of tone squelch.  

I do apologize in advance (beings my first time on forums). I have a Boafeng UV 9G and been successful in the past with connecting to repeater towers. We have recently moved and decided to connect our two radios (both the same models) to a repeater tower to ensure a coverage of 80+ miles when apart from home. I can transmit and receive seemingly with no issues. Unless I’m trying to communicate to the other handheld radio. The input and output is 100.0. I first tried setting the tone mode to tone with 100 in and with 100 out. My connection to the repeater tower was successful but no audio on the other radio was established, other than when releasing the transmit button. I then realized it was possible, I needed to set the tone mode to cross. But when selecting both at 100.0 the tone mode switched to TSQL. I figured that’s the way it needed to be so I left it so. Still with the end result with no audio between the two radios, but still on the end result of being able to transmit and receive from others, but not between the two radios.

27 minutes ago, WRUF242 said:

but no audio on the other radio was established, other than when releasing the transmit button

You are overloading your other radio with your transmission from the first radio. Give other radio to somebody and ask them to walk 100 feet away, then repeat the test.

14 minutes ago, axorlov said:

You are overloading your other radio with your transmission from the first radio. Give other radio to somebody and ask them to walk 100 feet away, then repeat the test.

This right here. The transmitting radio is making the other radio def. Get some space between them and you should be fine. 

I was trying this from approximately 5 to 10 miles away when testing, when I first attempted, I tried from a block away then figured I’d get more distance. I forgot to mention that. I was trying to confirm transmition via cell phone while on the radios. At first I thought I loaded the data incorrectly, but upon double checking on both attempts. I figured I would turn here. I’m sure it’s something super small I missing.

38 minutes ago, WRUF242 said:

I was trying this from approximately 5 to 10 miles away when testing, when I first attempted, I tried from a block away then figured I’d get more distance. I forgot to mention that. I was trying to confirm transmition via cell phone while on the radios. At first I thought I loaded the data incorrectly, but upon double checking on both attempts. I figured I would turn here. I’m sure it’s something super small I missing.

Try this, go into the menu for the channel you have set for the repeater in question. Check and see if menu number 10 is off, 11 is off, 12 is off and 13 is 100. If that doesn't work, turn menu number 11 to 100 and try again.

OK so I did try those two methods and I still have no audio being received on either side. Just to double check to make sure they were still capable of receiving transmission. I tried on regular GMRS channels to ensure the antennas or the components were not affected. Not sure if it’s helpful, but I’ll try to upload a short video of what my experience is when expecting to receive transmission from the other radio

That’s a good point. From what the map shows I’m about 5 miles or so from the coverage area. But I still scratch my head over that because when one transmits on that repeater tower, my wife could also hear their transmission from out of the coverage area. Is this possible because they’re using more power than what our handhelds are capable of?

Edited input: I do want to thank you guys for the time you’ve put into this and helping me figure this out. I will attempt to do a more of a thorough test within the repeaters coverage range tomorrow and see what I come out with. 

29 minutes ago, WRUF242 said:

That’s a good point. From what the map shows I’m about 5 miles or so from the coverage area. But I still scratch my head over that because when one transmits on that repeater tower, my wife could also hear their transmission from out of the coverage area. Is this possible because they’re using more power than what our handhelds are capable of?

Edited input: I do want to thank you guys for the time you’ve put into this and helping me figure this out. I will attempt to do a more of a thorough test within the repeaters coverage range tomorrow and see what I come out with. 

Don’t forget GMRS is line of site so regardless of what the repeater map shows you may get more or less depending on the terrain. You can use this tool to get an idea of what the path looks like. https://www.scadacore.com/tools/rf-path/rf-line-of-sight/

So yes, moving a bit closer was the problem solver. If I remember correctly our handhelds at max are around 5 W output. We will later be placing a 50 W at our homebase and installing about the same in my truck if not, may be a 40 W beings this newfound hobby can definitely get expensive the deeper we dive. As mentioned earlier it was more than likely something super simple I was missing, getting just a bit closer to the repeater tower definitely was the case. Getting a little excited can do that for sure. I would eventually love to get another tower set up like we had back home to use for the rest of the family here.

I thank everyone’s input and for taking the time to help steer me in the right direction. And the link for the RF Path reference is very much appreciated as well. I find this to be a very useful tool in the future.