HAM Entry Level License Test

nokones

7 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

I definitely fell into this "quick google" trap ... went back to the code and you are right - thank you for catching this!

Guess the joke is not working as planned ?

Yeah, that is why BTech GMRS Pro has their antenna glued on. Other than the bubble pack radios most are removable not an abundance of digital data GMRS radios out there. I think some of the Garmin radios fall in that category and have fixed antennas. 

19 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Yeah, that is why BTech GMRS Pro has their antenna glued on. Other than the bubble pack radios most are removable not an abundance of digital data GMRS radios out there. I think some of the Garmin radios fall in that category and have fixed antennas. 

That explains it - The HT I looked at (and bought in the end) is the BTech - programming via smartphone is a cool feature that I wanted to try - and I remembered the antenna discussion. -- Yes, I jumped to that conclusion with both feet ...

The FCC really made GMRS attractive with their revamping of the rules !!!

You may be confusing the FRS rules which mandate that the Antenna on every HT MUST be non-removable!
Think he is referring to the gmrs radios capable of data burst, they can not have removable antennas.

My reasoning is that the fcc didn't allow it to limit range. Can you imagine somebody strapping an 11 element yagi. They want that type of shanigns on the amateur service.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

I'll let @WRXD372answer for himself, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that he came across that GMRS provision, not having any idea that it applied only to data bursts and thought it applied more generally.

And of course, across the board in FRS, HTs must have fixed antennas.

Something like that plus a quick google search and some confirmation bias...