HAM Entry Level License Test

nokones

Posted from other discussion.

If the Hams are willing to help others to become Hams, then why don't they help in doing away with the Test that is required to get a license? I can see the purpose in the test for the advance license levels but, for the entry level license, I can see that will keep people in the future from being a HAM and the hobby will eventually be nearly non-existent, maybe not tomorrow, but I feel the future will be on the horizon very soon.

That is probably why GMRS is becoming so popular with the younger generations. I know the older Hams won't agree in doing away with the entry level license test because they had to take the test but they better think about the future of the hobby before their frequencies become less crowded with Ham hobbyists as time marches on.

It will be interesting to know the stats on the number of people becoming Hams today as opposed yesteryear.

If the Hams are willing to help others to become Hams, then why don't they help in doing away with the Test that is required to get a license? I can see the purpose in the test for the advance license levels but, for the entry level license, I can see that will keep people in the future from being a HAM and the hobby will eventually be nearly non-existent, maybe not tomorrow, but I feel the future will be on the horizon very soon.

That is probably why GMRS is becoming so popular with the younger generations. I know the older Hams won't agree in doing away with the entry level license test because they had to take the test but they better think about the future of the hobby before their frequencies become less crowded with Ham hobbyists as time marches on.

It will be interesting to know the stats on the number of people becoming Hams today as opposed yesteryear.

Well. The are things that are essential to the technician test that really are relevant. It is a real easy test (depending on skill and background) most people test with in a month of studying the material. Crap some do it in little less then 2 weeks.

Gmrs/frs like cbs are compartimilized/channeled. Lmr/commercial radios the license is set to the entity and not the user. Hence, why front panel programming is really limited if even avaible. Non radio people mucking with a radio isn't a good idea.

Most ham radios we can spin the dial (vfo) to whatever frequency in or out of band as we want to a point. Depends on the radio, we get limited also to prevent inadvertant interference. Still happens on band edges. We don't just do what ever, because of interference to adjacent frequencies and band plans as well as etiquite. Don't be that guy.

Believe or not gmrs/frs frequencies are actually stitched between lmr/commercial frequencies. Could you imagine the chaos/interference if the service wasn't channelized.

Really about 75%-80% of the questions on this forum could almost be answered by just studying the technician material.

It covers quite a bit of information. From rf exposure, what antenna style does what the best and its negatives. Different modes of operations as well as light legal information.

I for one, do not want to have it go away. It's an easy test, fast and cheap. Gives some rudimentary information on a broad spectrum of radio topics. People miss understand amateur radio a bit. It is amazing the different things you can do.

Think about this for a second. We technicians can blast away at legal limit 1500watts. Do we? Nope for the most part no. Several reasons why, but to the average person whom had no knowledge (unfortunately most license by device or no skill test) first thing they would do would be to price the cheapest ht, highest gain antenna and the cheapest most powerful amplifier to out reach and out talk everyone else.

Crap if you are close by (30 minutes or so), I will hand you old material, help you study. If you needed the support hold your hand as you walk in to take the test.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

There are plenty of folks running around with GMRS who already don't follow the simple rules (identify transmissions, no swearing, etc.).  Can you imagine if these same folks decided to do the same on analog public service bands (telling cops and fire bogus information)?  And no, I am not an amateur radio licensee.
We have those types. Like I say aholes and jerks in every group.

39 minutes ago, nokones said:

I looked it up earlier this year and there were something like 13 thousand more active ham licenses last year than the year before.  That doesn’t point to it going away.

Basic testing is necessary in order to ensure that people have learned the bare minimum regulations and a small amount of the science.  Many of the most basic questions that people ask when they become involved in radio are those things that a person learns while studying to pass the Technician test.  Not only that but the questions are all publicly available. Eight year old children pass the test.  Some ham clubs even have one day cram and test days where a person goes through the material for a while and then immediately tests on it.

The test is truly not a barrier unless a person is unwilling to put forth any effort at all.

I looked it up earlier this year and there were something like 13 thousand more active ham licenses last year than the year before.  That doesn’t point to it going away.
Basic testing is necessary in order to ensure that people have learned the bare minimum regulations and a small amount of the science.  Many of the most basic questions that people ask when they become involved in radio are those things that a person learns while studying to pass the Technician test.  Not only that but the questions are all publicly available. Eight year old children pass the test.  Some ham clubs even have one day cram and test days where a person goes through the material for a while and then immediately tests on it.
The test is truly not a barrier unless a person is unwilling to put forth any effort at all.
Our numbers have been dwindling. Mostly to our Elmer's no longer being with us. We we were always a small number what is it 1% of the global population.

But there are certainly a lot of new hams. Always 2-3 new technicians on one local weekly club net.

Food for thought. This snapshot was 40m. For those unaware, each vertical line is a transmission.FB_IMG_1683641662054.jpg

On 5/9/2023 at 6:19 AM, nokones said:

If the Hams are willing to help others to become Hams, then why don't they help in doing away with the Test that is required to get a license?

This is one of those if/then statements where people link two unrelated concepts to try and make their point. In fact, the whole post is a veiled rant against hams. The reality is that GMRS requires a license so the FCC is reasonably assured that you may have at least heard of the rules. Amateur radio allows a person, even at the Technician level, to use all kinds of frequencies, and at power levels that can actually cause interference on other frequencies, and in some cases actual harm to living beings. Therefore, testing is required so the FCC is reasonably convinced that the licensee is aware of the many more rules, concepts and hazards that apply to ham radio.

So, you're saying that the FCC is assured that a GMRS licensee will know and not program a FRS Channel 8-14 at a higher power output level than .5 watt with a Part 90 radio but, the FCC may be concerned that an Amateur Radio license applicant may not know and so they need to test accordingly to make sure that they don't violate a rule?

52 minutes ago, nokones said:

So, you're saying that the FCC is assured that a GMRS licensee will know and not program a FRS Channel 8-14 at a higher power output level than .5 watt with a Part 90 radio but, the FCC may be concerned that an Amateur Radio license applicant may not know and so they need to test accordingly to make sure that they don't violate a rule?

I personally am not aware of any part 95e approved radios that would allow to make this change. I think the thought is if you are following the rules and using compliant radios it’s a non issue. The concern is then at least limited to those already stepping out of the regulations. Like painting lines for a crosswalk, if you step out you probably know it. Amateur Radio is painting their own lines within guidelines they have learned and have demonstrated by passing an exam for their license. My thoughts anyway FWIW. 

Edited by WRUU653
Clarification

26 minutes ago, nokones said:

Hams have very few limitations compared to other services.  They are hobbyists, who are allowed a to do things with radios that are strictly forbidden on other services. They may make their own radios; their radios are not required to be certified to a particular standard, they are allowed higher power and many, many frequencies.  They earn that trust by demonstrating a knowledge of the rules and regulations as well as by demonstrating a level of technical knowledge necessary to participate in such experimental radio pursuits.

All other licensed service regulations are designed around utility users of those radios and require the manufacturers to provide a radio that is not easily configured to violate regulations.  

TL;DR? Ham radio operators are licensed to engage in advanced experimental radio as hobbyists.  As such the requirements are stricter and require more technical and regulatory compliance knowledge.

Why would anyone want the guvmint to dumb it down by removing the test requirement?

1 hour ago, nokones said:

My post was very clear. What I'm saying is exactly what I said, not what you think I said.

3 hours ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

The tech test is so easy that not wanting it shows unwillingness to apply any effort. For the average American, it is probably no more difficult than your state's driver's license written exam.

Well 12 year olds have gotten their Tech Class license. Makes you wonder when adults complain it’s takes too much time and effort.

I would like to see the test changed, not go away. The test questions for technician are totally out of scope for what most people actually do on 2m/70cm. They buy a radio and talk on it! Make the test cover that use case really well. Not all the silly other electronic stuff. Push that out into the higher levels.

14 minutes ago, pcradio said:

I would like to see the test changed, not go away. The test questions for technician are totally out of scope for what most people actually do on 2m/70cm. They buy a radio and talk on it! Make the test cover that use case really well. Not all the silly other electronic stuff. Push that out into the higher levels.

If a person just wants to buy a radio and talk on it there are several other very reasonable choices, such as MURS, CBRS, FRS, and GMRS. No test required. 
The Amateur Radio Service isn’t intended for people who just want to buy a radio and talk on it. 

1 hour ago, pcradio said:

I don’t agree. Judging by the frequent questions on this forum about antennas, coax cable, load matching, rules etc. and GMRS doesn’t even require a test. And of course all people want to do on GMRS is just talk too.

6 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

Your opinion or please cite a reference.

The very first question in the Technician Class test pool is a good reference:

T1A01 (C) [97.1]
Which of the following is part of the Basis and Purpose of the Amateur Radio Service?

A. Providing personal radio communications for as many citizens as possible
B. Providing communications for international non-profit organizations
C. Advancing skills in the technical and communication phases of the radio art
D. All these choices are correct
~~

The correct answer is C. “Advancing skills in the technical and communication phases of the radio art.”

Or from the actual regulations:

§ 97.1 Basis and purpose.

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a)Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications. 

(b)Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art. 

(c)Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art. 

(d)Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts. 

(e)Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

I guess it comes all down to the question:

Can we trust an untrained / unexamined individual with removable antennas ?!?

(§ 95.1787 GMRS additional requirements. Each hand-held portable unit transmitter [...] - (a) (4) The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the GMRS unit.)

If you do not study, you might poke your eye out! :)

Looking back at the initial question @nokones posed: "If the Hams are willing to help others to become Hams, then why don't they help in doing away with the Test that is required to get a license?" 

Honestly, the recent reviews and revisions of the FCC rules revolving around GMRS have made this service a perfect play-ground (for those who just want to play) or training-ground (for those who want to practice while studying).

While I do not agree that the tech exam is as easy as a driving test, I also know that the VECs (on behalf of the FCC) do not ask a candidate to perform 'brain surgery'. Most of the candidates who attend our sessions PASS their Tech first time! and if they are driven, they are successful in moving on -- we just had a gentleman who took all three exams at three consecutive (monthly) sessions - this hat-trick got him to the highest license level in under three month.

Yes, Hams are a welcoming crowd (save for the hams that NotARubicon deals with - roger that - beep) and they are concerned about expanding as a group of trained and self-trained and some even you-tube trained individuals.

The real difference is that hams aim to understand and explore and "advance" radio technology. - There is a strong correlation between purpose, education, and privileges.

One of the ham maxims is to use the least amount of power to get the job done. If you like to talk to your neighbor via radio, GMRS seems to fit this ideal :) 

Do not get me wrong: I like things that work out-of-the box like a tv dinner - the worry-free plug-and-play experience feels great! - I own and use GMRS, FRS, MURS, CB, DTR (900MHz) and those are great options for their specific use case!

But when it comes to removable antennas on UHF, I want to make sure that the people using them have an understanding of how not to harm the equipment, themselves, or others! 

With that said: Our next exam session is next weekend (Saturday) - HDannex.com

7 minutes ago, WRXD372 said:

I guess it comes all down to the question:

Can we trust an untrained / unexamined individual with removable antennas ?!?

(§ 95.1787 GMRS additional requirements. Each hand-held portable unit transmitter [...] - (a) (4) The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the GMRS unit.)

If you do not study, you might poke your eye out! :)

That’s specifically for GMRS radios that transmit digital data. GMRS radios that only do analog voice signals may have alternative eye pokers installed. ?

7 hours ago, Sshannon said:

That’s specifically for GMRS radios that transmit digital data. GMRS radios that only do analog voice signals may have alternative eye pokers installed. ?

I definitely fell into this "quick google" trap ... went back to the code and you are right - thank you for catching this!

Guess the joke is not working as planned ?