MXT400 - CTCSS/DCS code scanning

H8SPVMT

I have had this radio now several years and live in an area where there isn't much GMRS traffic but I do use the scan feature often picking up FRS conversations mostly.

I have noticed that I also have a feature that appears to scan thru all the CTCSS/DCS codes I believe. Nothing in the operators manual explains this operation or, why it functions (runs thru all the codes very quickly) like this or how it is used.

What feature is this and how does it operate?

1 hour ago, H8SPVMT said:

I have had this radio now several years and live in an area where there isn't much GMRS traffic but I do use the scan feature often picking up FRS conversations mostly.

I have noticed that I also have a feature that appears to scan thru all the CTCSS/DCS codes I believe. Nothing in the operators manual explains this operation or, why it functions (runs thru all the codes very quickly) like this or how it is used.

What feature is this and how does it operate?

Well I looked at the manual for your radio and oddly you are correct that it doesn’t mention having this feature.  What you are describing is Tone Scan, here is a description from my KG-935 plus. It works for CTCSS and DCS as well, you have to select one first and someone must be transmitting to receive the tones. 

21: TONE-SCAN] CTCSS/DCS Scanning
Function: Scans the incoming signal for CTCSS or DCS tones to identify or confirm the correct tone. This function must be activated while receiving a signal.
Options: 1. CTCSS/2. DCS
Default: None. Choose the function and press [MENU] to activate the scan.
Note: The scan will stop when the signal ends and resume from where it left off the
next time the signal is received, until it identifies the correct tone. Use the [UP]/[DOWN] arrow keys to scan in a different direction.

C/P to add in my notes for times that I am near other GMRS activities.  I'm trying to keep a list of Frequencies/Channels and tones for my travels.  Seems some frequencies are more desired by repeater operators than others, so I have to keep swapping CTCSS/DCS tones as we travel.  Having that information about scanning will likely assist me too, THANKS!

2 hours ago, H8SPVMT said:

C/P to add in my notes for times that I am near other GMRS activities.  I'm trying to keep a list of Frequencies/Channels and tones for my travels.  Seems some frequencies are more desired by repeater operators than others, so I have to keep swapping CTCSS/DCS tones as we travel.  Having that information about scanning will likely assist me too, THANKS!

Scanning can absolutely help you determine what tones are needed, but remember that if you leave your receiver channels open, with no tones set and tone-squelch turned off, you’ll hear everything transmitted on that frequency.

3 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Scanning can absolutely help you determine what tones are needed, but remember that if you leave your receiver channels open, with no tones set and tone-squelch turned off, you’ll hear everything transmitted on that frequency.

Absolutely and I do for for most all channels.  When traveling across country through sometimes I hear repeaters not listed on MyGMRS.com and think it would be nice to know the information, just in-case I get in a jam.  I remember to clear the channels I use after leaving the areas most times.

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 9:42 AM, WRUU653 said:

Well I looked at the manual for your radio and oddly you are correct that it doesn’t mention having this feature.  What you are describing is Tone Scan, here is a description from my KG-935 plus. It works for CTCSS and DCS as well, you have to select one first and someone must be transmitting to receive the tones. 

21: TONE-SCAN] CTCSS/DCS Scanning
Function: Scans the incoming signal for CTCSS or DCS tones to identify or confirm the correct tone. This function must be activated while receiving a signal.
Options: 1. CTCSS/2. DCS
Default: None. Choose the function and press [MENU] to activate the scan.
Note: The scan will stop when the signal ends and resume from where it left off the
next time the signal is received, until it identifies the correct tone. Use the [UP]/[DOWN] arrow keys to scan in a different direction.

There is no TONE SCAN button on the Midland MXT400 so......

I found thru experimentation that I can SCAN CTCSS/DCS tones on the MXT400.

The procedure is easy to do actually:

1. Select the frequency of the repeater then:

2. Push the TS/DCS button once and then:

3. Hold down the TS/DCS button until a scan starts

I believe it will scan until the MXT 400 determines the proper code. While in the SCAN Mode, I turned the frequency selection knob and see that it changes/reversed the order of the actual scan too, cool!