Programming question, or maybe just best practices? How do you do it?

dmccall

I'm using Chirp to program a handheld and a mobile GMRS radio.  Is it best to keep the default channels programmed 1 - 22, and leave the default repeater channels programed RPT 15 - 22 that appear AFTER you channel up from channel 22, and THEN after the RPT Channel 22 add specific repeaters that I would like to use?  OR, replace the pre-programmed repeater channels with the repeaters I would like to use?

I'm curious because I'm starting to think that by leaving the default pre-programmed repeater channels RPT 15 - 22 as is would help me identify possible repeaters in areas I travel to.  I understand the PL tones aren't programmed into those default repeater channels (at least I don't think they are, can't remember).  

I hope my question makes sense.  How do you do yours?  Thanks everyone.

I don’t think there is any wrong way, it’s just what works for you. If you’re like me you may change things more than once as you decide what you like. 
At the moment I have 1-22 standard GMRS, then the next eight I have for local repeaters, the next eight I have marked as Travel Repeaters set with 141.3 inputs and finally I have two sets of repeater frequencies with no tones for DIY to add out of area repeaters. After this I added local ham and MURS so I can set scan areas with one for just GMRS only and a second that includes GMRS, ham and MURS a scan area for civilian traffic so to speak. That’s just what I came up with but like I say whatever works for you is all that matters. 

3 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I don’t think there is any wrong way, it’s just what works for you. If you’re like me you may change things more than once as you decide what you like. 
At the moment I have 1-22 standard GMRS, then the next eight I have for local repeaters, the next eight I have marked as Travel Repeaters set with 141.3 inputs and finally I have two sets of repeater frequencies with no tones for DIY to add out of area repeaters. After this I added local ham and MURS so I can set scan areas with one for just GMRS only and a second that includes GMRS, ham and MURS a scan area for civilian traffic so to speak. That’s just what I came up with but like I say whatever works for you is all that matters. 

This is exactly what I was curious about.  I like those ideas you mentioned and I think I'll incorporate some of this.  Thank you very much, very helpful.  

One more thing I would add. I like having the set of repeater programs for what I call travel repeaters. Having these eight repeater channels set with 141.3 on input and output I recently discovered a new repeater being set up locally that isn’t listed yet. The owner was doing signal strength testing with another and I jumped on and was able to talk with the owner, get permission as well as add some feedback from my location. 

3 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

It appears that your radio does not comply with Part 95E specifications.

In my limited experience programming radios that are in compliance with Part 95E, the radio and software do not allow such flexibility as you describe, as they follow hard and fast FCC rules.

Hence, the reason I asked the OP to identify his radios.

Wrong. I just have those for scanning. It’s just my KG-935G Plus. You need a jump to conclusions mat. 

1 minute ago, dmccall said:

My hand held is a Btech GMRS-V1 and my mobile is a Btech UV-50X2.

The V1 tends to be quite restricted. You'll probably need to carry a sheet of paper with repeater frequency/channel and tone configuration as you'll be front-panel editing the tones into the appropriate 23-30 slot. In contrast the V2 model can have GMRS repeaters added past slot 30, so one can do a one-time set up of all relevant repeaters, leaving 23-30 for ad hoc field usage.

18 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

It appears that your radio does not comply with Part 95E specifications.

In my limited experience programming radios that are in compliance with Part 95E, the radio and software do not allow such flexibility as you describe, as they follow hard and fast FCC rules.

Hence, the reason I asked the OP to identify his radios.

Really? . . . 

6 hours ago, WRUX266 said:

Really? . . . 

Thank you @WRUX266.  Such a bold yet utterly false statement from @WRXE944, and then to laugh at your response. I guess he missed the punctuation. "Some people".  I've made statements that were incorrect before but then I own it and admit when I'm wrong, not this guy. 

37 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

What about “It appears that…” and “In my limited experience…” don’t you understand?

Well since you asked, I understand those comments and yet you made an accusatory statement anyway. What I feel would be the appropriate response when it was pointed out that your statements were incorrect is something to the extent of “sorry, I misunderstood” or something to that effect not adding a laughing face when @WRUX266 questioned your statement. This in effect is what perpetuated the side issue as I see it. Finally you felt the need to say something here yet never even attempted once answering OP’s initial question. 

You coming all the way out here from Jersey? They are good steaks, the best. I’d rather you admit your mistake and I’ll buy you one. 
Unless you’re not really there, as it seems you are not. In which case let’s just make it a beer and call it good. 

I did edit but before your response. I thought you might be closer and I could go for a beer ??

Still a steak sounds good. Look forward to it. I’ll have to look into Peter Lugers. Though it’s been a while since I’ve been that far east. I am still sad that Jocko’s stopped doing breakfast after the pandemic. 

25 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

As I understand it, they do not oak-fire lunch either.

Peter Lugers is world renown in Brooklyn!

Just dinner now, which is probably healthier for me anyway. Looks like Lugers has been there a good long time. Reached out to people I know in Long Island about them but haven’t heard back. I think it’s going to be a steak night. 73’s