VHF/UHF (incl. GMRS range) Mobile 1/2 Antenna

ytechie

I can't make any promises on function (as I haven't gotten a chance to test it on the truck yet), but this one is rated wideband enough for 70cm and gmrs (430-490). I did get a chance to do some limited swr testing with a handheld and a mag mount on a chest freezer, and the swr was good, about 1.2 or less everywhere I tested....a couple gmrs simplex and repeater inputs, 446.000, and a couple other 70cm simplex frequencies.

As 4wd fullsize is the plan down the road, I grabbed the phantom as a limited clearance option (assuming it works adequately in practice). Vhf...remains to be seen, Maybe a 2nd phantom depending how this does. Laird does have a couple vhf options, and I already have a diplexer.

Might be an issue since it is a ground plane required antenna.

These are all UHF no ground plane required antennas.  Just check that the frequency is correct.
https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-categories/shop-all/mobile-antennas/300-512-mhz-uhf/no-ground-plane-antennas

As stated back on 5/11, I have this antenna and it works great, better than my expectations.  Just took a bit of trimming, and they supplied a trim-length guide.  I recommend getting the antenna mounted, and the coax run before performing any trims.  The attenuation of the coax will slightly affect VSWRs.
https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-categories/shop-all/mobile-antennas/300-512-mhz-uhf/no-ground-plane-antennas/3230-laird-connectivity-bb4502n-detail

Taller alternative:
https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-categories/shop-all/mobile-antennas/300-512-mhz-uhf/no-ground-plane-antennas/3232-laird-connectivity-bb4505cns-detai

9 hours ago, ytechie said:

Use the NMO mount that goes on the rear light. I would use my 1/4 wave, 6" tall antenna (I don't want to risk hitting the antenna on my garage door). The downside is the cost of the mount ($359!) and the fact that I'll only have half a ground plane (forward-facing essentially)

I am not an expert on this stuff at all, my two cents worth (half off today) is the rear light mount has a few things going for it such as height, position and ground plane. I’d be interested to see how that scenario works with something like the laird antenna that @wayoverthere linked. 

15 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I am not an expert on this stuff at all, my two cents worth (half off today) is the rear light mount has a few things going for it such as height, position and ground plane. I’d be interested to see how that scenario works with something like the laird antenna that @wayoverthere linked. 

Little more testing today...tested swr on the truck, both with the mag mount centered and with it moved to the back edge of the roof to approximate the 3rd brake light mount. Under 1.1:1 across the same places I tested previously, and no problem opening a couple uhf repeaters 30ish miles out (in the foothills) from my driveway. 

Going to leave it on and hope to get some real world testing in this coming week. With the link from the local repeaters to the rest of the system down, things have been pretty quiet.

I went ahead and ordered the mount for the rear light on the cab. With shipping and tax it was over $400. It's crazy expensive, but it will look really slick.

Because of my garage door, I'll end up just using my Laird 6" 1/4 wave antenna most of the time. I don't want to risk hitting a taller antenna.

As it is, the truck barely fits in my garage (it showed up a few days ago).

IMG_0777.jpeg

13 minutes ago, ytechie said:

went ahead and ordered the mount for the rear light on the cab. With shipping and tax it was over $400. It's crazy expensive, but it will look really slick.

Because of my garage door, I'll end up just using my Laird 6" 1/4 wave antenna most of the time. I don't want to risk hitting a taller antenna

I think it’s going to look great and I suspect the location will give you good performance. ?