Manpack build

WRWJ577

Hello all. I am working on a project and would like your input. I want to build a radio in a bag that will be base station at home and disconnected from home antenna taken to vehicle and connected to its antenna taken into wilderness disconnected and put on back. The radio is a Btech 50v2. the thing im having a a hard time deciding on is the antenna for the pack in the wilderness. any suggestions. i will post pics as pieces arrive and i start the build.

IMG_2988.thumb.jpeg.2d58032e51421f6bb5fc0d8462caf06f.jpegAs much as I have downplayed the Ed Fong antenna lately, this is the perfect application for his roll-up J-pole. 

Or, a friend of mine made a go-box in an ammo can. He simply sticks a mag-mount quarter wave antenna to the removable lid and places the lid a little ways away. 

8 minutes ago, WRXE944 said:

How many amps at 12v does that radio pull when transmitting?

How will you power it in the wilderness?

The battery is in the box and because it’s only a 20 watt radio it doesn’t use much current. He also has a solar panel but I don’t think he used it at this event. He used it all day. 

1 hour ago, WRWJ577 said:

I have a custom lithium battery bank built that is 13.8 volts. The ed fong roll antenna sounds good. i like the idea of throwing a string and pulling it up in a tree. But if in desert i wonder how to mount it to self. I was leaning towards a 1/2 wave whip.

I would consider carrying a Spiderbeam mini 7m pole. It’s 23 feet long when extended, light, and collapses to 28 inches. 

5 hours ago, Sshannon said:

IMG_2988.thumb.jpeg.2d58032e51421f6bb5fc0d8462caf06f.jpegAs much as I have downplayed the Ed Fong antenna lately, this is the perfect application for his roll-up J-pole. 

Or, a friend of mine made a go-box in an ammo can. He simply sticks a mag-mount quarter wave antenna to the removable lid and places the lid a little ways away. 

The display looks like it’s getting just over 14 volts if I’m reading it correctly. I really like this set up. I really don’t have a use for this, yet I find myself wanting to build one. It’s an illness really… ??