New base station with Kenwood TK-880-1 radio

WRTT440

Hello All. I finally put together a base station for the house. I'm using a Kenwood TK-880-1 purchased from ebay, a 30 amp power supply from ebay, about 30 feet of LMR-400 type cable and a Tram 1486 antenna tuned for the GMRS band.

The power supply is a bit overkill as the max needed would be 8 amps for this radio. But I didn't want to have to replace it if I later upgrade to a higher power GMRS radio.

Today I was able to make my first "radio test" to a repeater (WRPD520) about 21.5 miles away using the TK-880 on high power, about 19.5 watts, with 1.25 SWR

• 1 month later...

I just acquired a refurbished TK880K a couple months ago in a Club raffle.  At first, I thought that I would give it away to a Club newbie in need of a mobile radio since I already have several non-CCR mobile radios, except for one unfortunately, that I shouldn't have bought in the first place. I never been a Kenwood fan or had a use for one but, I quickly grown to like the radio once I got into the programming of the radio and learned its radio capabilities, and fit the radio into my radio use choices and inventory/cache.

They do make great GMRS radios and the radio features include zone programming, talkaround, a true monitor/PL Defeat that just doesn't blow squelch like a CCR, Home channel, and soft key programming. I like the size of the radio and it allows me to temporarily use the radio in one of my cars that really can't accommodate a permanent mobile radio installation.

The radio is really not too shabby. For a quality and inexpensive radio for a person that doesn't have very much disposable income and want to play with radios, and learn how to program their own radio(s), this radio is for you.

25 minutes ago, nokones said:

I never been a Kenwood fan or had a use for one but, I quickly grown to like the radio once I got into the programming of the radio and learned its radio capabilities, and fit the radio into my radio use choices and inventory/cache.

Looks like I see another up and coming Kenwood fan like me.🙂

TK-780(H)_880(H).pdf