If You Own a Jeep, You Need This Radio

marcspaz

If you are a Jeep enthusiast and love to drive around with your doors off, but hate that the road noise is so bad that you can't use your radio, I highly recommend getting an XTL5000 or another Motorola model that was designed for use by first responders and has noise cancelling microphone features. I have had a total of three XTL5000 radios and I have never realized there is a noise cancelling feature before this one.  This feature absolutely rocks. 

With every mobile radio I have every owned, I could never drive around in a Jeep with the doors off because the tire hum and wind noise would make it so my voice was washed out.  It made the radio unusable while the Jeep was in motion.  I decided to mess around with the mic auto gain control and noise suppression.  I found that I can have the roof and doors off and still use the radio.  I have aggressive 37" tires that hum so loud, that with the wind and tire noise, I can't talk to my passengers if the doors are off.  BUT... now I can still use the radio!

I setup my home-based FTM-300DR to record and went for a spin.  The slowest I was going was 45 mph, at the very beginning.  The fastest I was traveling during this test was 70 mph.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  You can hear the processor work its magic when I first start to transmit.

If you are a Jeep enthusiast and love to drive around with your doors off, but hate that the road noise is so bad that you can use your radio, I highly recommend getting an XTL5000 or another Motorola model that was designed for use by first responders and has noise cancelling microphone features. I have had a total of three XTL5000 radios and I have never realized there is a noise cancelling feature before this one.  This feature absolutely rocks. 

With every mobile radio I have every owned, I could never drive around in a Jeep with the doors off because the tire hum and wind noise would make it so my voice was washed out.  It made the radio unusable while the Jeep was in motion.  I decided to mess around with the mic auto gain control and noise suppression.  I found that I can have the roof and doors off and still use the radio.  I have aggressive 37" tires that hum so loud, that with the wind and tire noise, I can't talk to my passengers if the doors are off.  BUT... now I can still use the radio!

I setup my home-based FTM-300DR to record and went for a spin.  The slowest I was going was 45 mph, at the very beginning.  The fastest I was traveling during this test was 70 mph.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  You can hear the processor work its magic when I first start to transmit.

Impressive aren't they?

Warming popcorn for your install of the ftm500.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

I too, own three XTL5000's .. One as my base and one in each of my two Jeeps, and they are by far my favorite radios..

What exact setting is this/what section is it in the CPS Tree?

Here is a screen grab of what my settings are... Radio Configuration --> Radio Wide --> Tx Audio Control Per Mode.  It's the Noise Suppression check box and Attenuation Level option.  The directions say it works best with the Mic AGC disabled, but I find it works best with it on.

image.thumb.png.b8b8a0bb750c819c8f21f352480853f8.png

Thanks. Pretty much the same settings i had on all mine except for some reason the AGC:Total was set to 6 so i just set them all to 0 because Marc says thats better.

FYI - On some older XTLs with more miles on them, they may 'buzz' when the noise suppression option is enabled - so if you have any XTLs with a buzz/loud hiss in the carrier, turn off Noise Suppression to fix it.. Out of our group we had 3 radios that had that issue.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Thanks. Pretty much the same settings i had on all mine except for some reason the AGC:Total was set to 6 so i just set them all to 0 because Marc says thats better.

I tried it with AGC off, but it seems to work better with AGC on and set to zero.  May be placebo, but is sure sounds good on the recording. LoL 

8 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

FYI - On some older XTLs with more miles on them, they may 'buzz' when the noise suppression option is enabled - so if you have any XTLs with a buzz/loud hiss in the carrier, turn off Noise Suppression to fix it.. Out of our group we had 3 radios that had that issue.

I've noticed that problem before too, not exclusive to Motorola as it showed up on my Kenwood HT over P25. I think it is more related to the Noise Suppression (or ANR in Kenwood) in low background noise situations. ANR is designed to cancel out sirens and industrial noise like fire truck pumps, and when its looking to remove a loud noise that isn't there, it causes problems.

I've noticed that problem before too, not exclusive to Motorola as it showed up on my Kenwood HT over P25. I think it is more related to the Noise Suppression (or ANR in Kenwood) in low background noise situations. ANR is designed to cancel out sirens and industrial noise like fire truck pumps, and when its looking to remove a loud noise that isn't there, it causes problems.
Could be why i was told to disable it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk