Can you legally integrate/pratice using codes into your Emercency Plan for coms?

2 hours ago, DirtyCitizen said:

Are the people transmitting in what sounds like morse code/or really slow APRS on gmrs breaking the law and exceeding their "Limitations"? 

Morse code station identification of a GMRS station is permitted by the regulations. 
That’s not the kind of “code” that the regulations prohibit. Codes used to conceal meaning are. 

3 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Morse code station identification of a GMRS station is permitted by the regulations. 
That’s not the kind of “code” that the regulations prohibit. Codes used to conceal meaning are. 

thank you that answers my question, and is aprs ok? I'm 30miles S-E of DC on Pennsylvania AVE/MD rt.4 so is aprs acceptable for gmrs seems to be a lot of traffic on it as well as MURS? and stations in between. I have Patuxent River Naval Air station, Andrews AFB and a Nuclear power plant all within gmrs distance so I would assume it would piss someone off if it were.. but I had a few Ideas about using programs like rattler or other programs that aren't really hiding anything but they would take someone more than a simple radio to quickly read and reference. I'm studying a bit more before getting my technicians license just because of where I'm at it seems pretty easy to get myself in trouble if I don't know what I'm doing. test seems simple enough but I kinda screwed up and read the army manuals first now I'm in the process of figuring out what is and isn't acceptable on different bands...

You do any hunting out there in Mt?

21 minutes ago, DirtyCitizen said:

thank you that answers my question, and is aprs ok? I'm 30miles S-E of DC on Pennsylvania AVE/MD rt.4 so is aprs acceptable for gmrs seems to be a lot of traffic on it as well as MURS? and stations in between. I have Patuxent River Naval Air station, Andrews AFB and a Nuclear power plant all within gmrs distance so I would assume it would piss someone off if it were.. but I had a few Ideas about using programs like rattler or other programs that aren't really hiding anything but they would take someone more than a simple radio to quickly read and reference. I'm studying a bit more before getting my technicians license just because of where I'm at it seems pretty easy to get myself in trouble if I don't know what I'm doing. test seems simple enough but I kinda screwed up and read the army manuals first now I'm in the process of figuring out what is and isn't acceptable on different bands...

You do any hunting out there in Mt?

Although some GMRS radios do exchange location information with each other using digital data, APRS typically relies on digipeaters which are not part of GMRS. In fact, GMRS radios are not permitted to send digital or position data through repeaters.  APRS is really more of an amateur radio thing.

I used HamStudy and getting my licenses was a piece of cake.

I haven’t hunted in years.  I do enjoy shooting though and the scarier looking the gun is the better.

10 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Although some GMRS radios do exchange location information with each other using digital data, APRS typically relies on digipeaters which are not part of GMRS. In fact, GMRS radios are not permitted to send digital or position data through repeaters.  APRS is really more of an amateur radio thing.

I used HamStudy and getting my licenses was a piece of cake.

I haven’t hunted in years.  I do enjoy shooting though and the scarier looking the gun is the better.

Yeah the politics in Maryland where I am now are pretty wild.  My family still has a cabin in the Bull Mountains north of Billings. It'd be the perfect place for a ham tower. I hunted with my cousins quite a bit, only ever got deer, a ton of prairie dogs an unfortunately for our dog a porcupine. I lived out there till I was about 15 though.. looking back I'm not sure what my 10yo cousin or I(@13)would have done if we got an elk or bear while we were out there. Definitely miss it. My brothers and sister live out here and I haven't been able to visit since 2020 right before Covid. Things out here by DC and Baltimore are pretty on edge at the moment sure would love to move back. And all the guns in Maryland are pretty well neutered. with mag bans and HBAR reqs for any build most of what I have save a few useful pieces are antiqes, the rest stay out there and in W.Va.

sorry for being a bit of an ass earlier btw. I'm hoping to get out there soon to spend some time with Family and maybe go waste some time hunting pronghorn. If I get my technicians license I might run across ya. and if you know any good places to sight in a new 6.5 Grendel build definitely let me know. I've only a 2-300yard stretch out there to work with, the Pine's gotten really thick from what I've seen.

Pretty sure that you can speak another language. Does the FCC mandate US English? Not code or encryption, but another language not commonly used in the US will eliminate most eavesdroppers.

A lot of work, of course if you don’t already happen to speak another language.

Right On:

47 CFR 95.303 - https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/section-95.303

"Plain language voice communications. Voice communications without codes or coded messages intended to provide a hidden meaning. Foreign languages and commonly known radio operating words and phrases, such as “ten four” and “roger,” not intended to provide a hidden meaning, are not considered codes or coded messages."

Maybe we should call that the "google translate provision" of Part 95 ?!? 😉

10 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

El ingles no es obligatorio😉

Du weist schon das Deutsch die wahre Sprache der Liebe is und nicht Französisch ?!? -- no hidden meaning here !

1 hour ago, WRXD372 said:

Du weist schon das Deutsch die wahre Sprache der Liebe is und nicht Französisch ?!? -- no hidden meaning here !

Ich muss meinem Bruder sagen, als er heute in Deutschland ankam…

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

Ich weiß dass Sie haben Norwegisch vergessen

och svenska också

Mmmm Ovaltine 😋

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2023 at 1:44 AM, DirtyCitizen said:

Yeah the politics in Maryland where I am now are pretty wild.  ... And all the guns in Maryland are pretty well neutered. with mag bans and HBAR reqs for any build most of what I have save a few useful pieces are antiqes, the rest stay out there and in W.Va.

I agree MD gun laws are stupid, but not sure if your description or understanding of gun laws in MD is accurate.  Since you travel out of state often, the mag restriction basically is nothing to you.  You may bring them in from other states, you just cannot buy them in MD.  The MD AR barrel profile restriction only applies to .223 & 5.56, other calibers can legally have any profile; if that much of a barrel profile difference neuters an AR for you, I'm not sure how you are able to carry a rifle that shoots 6.5 Grendel