Getting the Icom IC-FR4000 repeater to tx CWID

Flameout

Question

Sorry if some have seen this post on other forums, but thought I'd would try here on the slim chance that someone hasn't seen my other posts and might know how to get the IC-FR4000 to transmit CWID. Ideally I would like to see the .ICF file from someone that actually has their FR4000 transmitting CWID.

The specifications say that it is capable, but instructions seem to be somewhere in the abyss. I found these instructions https://caraham.org/resources/Documents/Learning Conference 2013/ICOM/ICOM CWID repeater setup.pdf but following those steps did nothing. It seems to be a nice repeater for as old as it is, but I'm now wondering if that portion of it might just be broken. 

upload_2023-5-30_10-26-48.png

12 answers to this question

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

Did you put the call sign in it via software ? How do you know its not transmitting ? It does not transmit with tone so if you have tone on your radio you will not hear it. 

Yes, using the CS3000 software. Would the red TX light come on when it is sending out the CWID? It never comes on other than when the repeater is being accessed.  I have written different settings the radio no less than 50 times (no exaggeration) making slight changes. I have been testing with tones and without tones. The repeater itself is working great. About 42 watts into duplexer and around 31w after duplexer with good coverage in my area

It does send out the CWID when the TOT is reached. I checked that box in the settings and set it to 15 seconds just for testing. I have since set it higher. I guess it's possible that there is something defective with that portion of the radio or I am just missing something. I kind of thought these were fairly popular repeaters back in the day, but I may now have the only one in existence lol

I found a way to get the CWID to transmit at a set time (every 120 seconds per my photo), but it also transmits the CWID each and everytime the repeater is accessed! The only time the cwid will transmit is if I select L-IN, L-OFF or Both in the RPT Log. Selecting the PWR ON setting doesn't seem to do anything. I just need to have it stop transmitting the CW with every key up of the repeater

FR4000_1.jpg

FR4000_2.jpg

Ok, I'm now pretty sure the IC-FR4000 will not do the CWID at a timed interval without also doing it after each and every transmission. Could something like that ID-O-Matic be added to accomplish that? I've seen where the correct cables are available for motorola radios to use and id-o-matic but haven't found any information where they are used with an Icom. 

Is that something that would be connected to the rear accessory connector of the FR4000? I would think that only a few of the pins would be used, so I could probably make the correct cable, if I could find instructions 

I am trying to get someone on site to read my FR4000. Its been on the air for 10 years and it does ID. Normally hear it after a conversation. If I can get someone on site to read it I'll advise. If you want to add the ID-O-Matic I would think using the MIC jack may be simpler that the rear but either should work.

Manual for it is here - https://www.repeater-builder.com/icom/pdfs/fr3000-4000-im.pdf

Also here is the document from ICOM on CWID - https://caraham.org/resources/Documents/Learning Conference 2013/ICOM/ICOM CWID repeater setup.pdf

Thanks, I would really appreciate that.

I know on my motorola GR500 repeater, I can set it to ID every fifteen minutes (for example) but only if there has been activity. If no activity at all, it never will ID but right after any activity and the user unkeys, it will ID, but only that initial contact. If there is say, a 10 minute conversation, it doesn't ID after each user stops talking. Right now, that is what it does on my Icom fr4000 - ID'S after anyone stops talking, regardless of how much time e has passed

Thanks for the links to the files. I already have them and a few others though. I think I downloaded every file I could find lol

The reason I just assumed it didn't ID like I was hoping is because of this post from a user that has the same problem

Screenshot_20230603-190151_Chrome.jpg

Could someone help with where the pins from the ID-O-matic output would go on the accessory connector of the IC-FR4000? From what I gathered on the hamgadgets.com site, pins 5,6,9,10 and 12 aren't used, but I may be wrong.  I would think pin 1 to 25 and pin 2 to 13, but he others I'm not sure off.

I tried every combination I could think of to get the CWID of the FR4000 to work properly, but nothing is working so thought I'd try adding an ID-O-Matic board

IdOmatic_Pin2.jpg

I appreciate you checking your radio. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Your RPT Log layout looks a little different than mine, unless it was just the way you copied the image? I added some of my screenshots. I know I have 120.00 (2 minutes) but makes it easier while I'm testing. Sure would be nice to not to have to bother with the ID-O-Matic but I'm starting to think there's a problem with my repeater or the software

Common_FR4000.jpg

Expert_FR4000.jpg

Channel_FR4000.jpg

On 6/13/2023 at 10:27 AM, Flameout said:

Would using the mic input of the FR4000 work for this. I think it would be pin 1 to pin 7 (mic), pin 2 to 1, 3 to 4, 7 to 6 and not sure of 8 and 11

IDoMatic_mic.jpg

Best I can interpret, Microphone 6 should be IDOM 11. I believe IDOM 7 is something like carrier-operated-relay (something that turns might be used to turn the Tx radio on/off as a power saving feature when the Rx radio does not have a signal -- or controls the timing start of the IDOM). If the IDOM expects to relay the Rx to Tx then IDOM 8 comes from the Rx radio, and its signal will be sent out on IDOM 11.

I gave that a shot, but still not working. I either have a partially bad FR4000 repeater, the id-o-matic is bad or I'm missing some setting somewhere. Most likely it's me missing something. Either way, it's frustrating. I always considered myself somewhat tech savvy, but this has me stumped. The IC-FR4000 says it is capable of CWID, but some say it doesn't and others say it does