What "type" are our Handhelds... RTTY? Data? Phone?

Looking at a chart of Amateur Band frequencies, and see the names/types of devices permitted to use in various ranges, such as RTTY, Data, Phone, Image, SSB Phone, etc. All nicely color-coded and very informative, except for something that's probably so basic they didn't include it.

I know CW is a Morse key device/output (I think), but what "type" are our little hand-held GMRS/UHF/VHF radios?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer, though I'm unsure of a good search term.

Thanks in advance.

Let me expand.

Phone = voice (Mostly fm modulation, some are going to be digital aka dstar,p25,fusion,dmr,nxdn)

Ssb = am single sideband voice
Am = self expantory
Data = digitl packets aka ft8, ft4 for the most part
Rtty = radio teletype
Image = slow scan images

All of this is covered in the technician amateur radio license material. If you want more ino.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, TheSidewinder said:

Looking at a chart of Amateur Band frequencies, and see the names/types of devices permitted to use in various ranges, such as RTTY, Data, Phone, Image, SSB Phone, etc. All nicely color-coded and very informative, except for something that's probably so basic they didn't include it.

I know CW is a Morse key device/output (I think), but what "type" are our little hand-held GMRS/UHF/VHF radios?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer, though I'm unsure of a good search term.

Thanks in advance.

The attached files are also useful.

Common Emmision Mode Designators.pdf FCC Service and Station Codes.pdf

21 hours ago, TheSidewinder said:

Thanks in advance.

They’re all defined in Part 97 of the FCC Regulations:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-97

(c)The following terms are used in this part to indicate emission types. Refer to § 2.201of the FCC Rules, Emission, modulation and transmission characteristics,for information on emission type designators. 

(1)CW.International Morse code telegraphy emissions having designators with A, C, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1 as the second symbol; A or B as the third symbol; and emissions J2A and J2B. 

(2)Data.Telemetry, telecommand and computer communications emissions having 

(i)designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol, 1 as the second symbol, and D as the third symbol; 

(ii)emission J2D; and 

(iii)emissions A1C, F1C, F2C, J2C, and J3C having an occupied bandwidth of 500 Hz or less when transmitted on an amateur service frequency below 30 MHz. Only a digital code of a type specifically authorized in this part may be transmitted. 

(3)Image.Facsimile and television emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2 or 3 as the second symbol; C or F as the third symbol; and emissions having B as the first symbol; 7, 8 or 9 as the second symbol; W as the third symbol. 

(4)MCW.Tone-modulated international Morse code telegraphy emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H or R as the first symbol; 2 as the second symbol; A or B as the third symbol. 

(5)Phone.Speech and other sound emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2, 3 or X as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. Also speech emissions having B or F as the first symbol; 7, 8 or 9 as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. MCW for the purpose of performing the station identification procedure, or for providing telegraphy practice interspersed with speech. Incidental tones for the purpose of selective calling or alerting or to control the level of a demodulated signal may also be considered phone. 

(6)Pulse.Emissions having designators with K, L, M, P, Q, V or W as the first symbol; 0, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9 or X as the second symbol; A, B, C, D, E, F, N, W or X as the third symbol. 

(7)RTTY.Narrow-band direct-printing telegraphy emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1 as the second symbol; B as the third symbol; and emission J2B. Only a digital code of a type specifically authorized in this part may be transmitted. 

(8)SS.Spread spectrum emissions using bandwidth-expansion modulation emissions having designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; X as the second symbol; X as the third symbol. 

(9)Test.Emissions containing no information having the designators with N as the third symbol. Test does not include pulse emissions with no information or modulation unless pulse emissions are also authorized in the frequency band.