Help - 2 Kenwood TK-8180's into a repeater

fpcaptain

Question

I am looking to put a couple TK-8180's together to make a repeater as I got them cheap.  Does anyone have any info on how to make this happen?

These have the DB-25 connector in the rear so either the DB-25 or the mic jack I would guess there is a way to make this happen??

I have considered getting a Id-o-matic IV also so there is an id. 

Anyone know of the easiest way to make this all happen?

8 answers to this question

Ive done a lot of looking into it as I am pretty sure it can be done easily enough but without having a lot of experience putting the stuff together etc which is the biggest issue.  Directions cut and dried and I could probably do it.  Like solder this wire onto this pin and program this pin in the software for this - that time of thing.

There may also be a cable you can get from Tecnet USA that uses the same pinouts on the rear connector.

Don't need an IDer if you want to save some hassle.

OK I will check that out also.  I have a Motorola repeaters currently set up (GR-300 for GMRS with a id-o-matic IV that Radio Dan wired) and a GR 1225 (for ham using the built in CW id).  I acquired a few 8180 at a very good price and want to either used these as backups or replacements for the Motorola's

OK I will check that out also.  I have a Motorola repeaters currently set up (GR-300 for GMRS with a id-o-matic IV that Radio Dan wired) and a GR 1225 (for ham using the built in CW id).  I acquired a few 8180 at a very good price and want to either used these as backups or replacements for the Motorola's

Personally...I'd move the GR1225 to GMRS (since the repeater can actually disable PL on ID) and switch the Kenwood's in place of the amateur repeater (assuming they are all UHF). The GR300s are okay, just a pain to deal with versus the Windows programmable R1225 module and the Kenwoods.

Personally...I'd move the GR1225 to GMRS (since the repeater can actually disable PL on ID) and switch the Kenwood's in place of the amateur repeater (assuming they are all UHF). The GR300s are okay, just a pain to deal with versus the Windows programmable R1225 module and the Kenwoods.

Well currently they both work well.  Last year the GR300 got the idomatic 4 with voice since it just had the basic cable.  The GR 1225 I used to have the PL stripped for the id but I now allow it to come through to so it can id the 6 meter FM simplex link that sits next to it.  Then I have the UHF and VHF repeater linked via UHF radio from separate sites (in and out of all 3 frequencies work).  Echolink is also in the mix as well as Echoproducer so thats where most of the bells and whistles come from on the ham side of things.

I got a great deal on 4 8180's so I figured I would use them as replacements or backups and dont need an old computer to program them.  I have a 7180 and 8180 in the mobile and as a base and I have the 2180 and 3180 also for ht's that I have acquired in recent years so when I came across these I figured they would be good for repeaters.  

Planning to get another idomatic for one pair of them and will just use the other idomatic I have for the other pair.  I just need to find out more info on the hook up and the programming of the pins.

I never was a fan of the ID-O-Matc IV. The III was awesome but the additional price of the IV with some of the features you just didn't need if you were just looking for an IDer (plus your time spent assembling it) just wasn't a valid trade off to me versus a ComSpec ID-8 or a NHRC-μ if a full function controller was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never was a fan of the ID-O-Matc IV. The III was awesome but the additional price of the IV with some of the features you just didn't need if you were just looking for an IDer (plus your time spent assembling it) just wasn't a valid trade off to me versus a ComSpec ID-8 or a NHRC-μ if a full function controller was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have an ID-8 that I used on a repeater about 15 years ago.  I am fine with them all.