New to gmrs

Guest Joseph johnigk

Guest Joseph johnigk

I’m interested in getting into alternative commmunication in case the grid goes down. Need to talk to someone about what to do to get started. In gmrs long range communication. I’m in the Peoria illinois area ,, who can I contact?

thanks. Joe Johnigk

Welcome to GMRS !

Being in Southern California, I cannot help you with details about your location - I hope you can find someone local.

However, GMRS is not the golden bullet for collapsed infrastructure communication.

From my place of work (elevated), I can make it across the valley into a repeater (elevated) about 15 miles away. To be precise, I need a long antenna on my HT to make it. I also need the long antenna (in comparison to the stock rubber duckies) from my home that is 10 miles closer to the repeater, but many structures are between my backyard and the repeater.

If you are afraid of "the grid going down", the repeater should be down also. In this case, you are trying station to station communication.

Based on the topographical conditions (my home and my work sitting on top of the valley), I might be able to bridge those 10 miles (Honestly, I am trying to get my wife to test this out with me but - thus far - she is not a fan of the idea.

Fixed or mobile stations with an well mounted external antenna might change the numbers but, as we are on 70cm, they are not miracle workers.

Plese take a look at some of the posts on this forum - emergency preparedness and range are common topics.

In short: If all else fails, GMRS might be a great neighborhood solution but for distance, other services are needed. Some Ham frequencies might help even with international distances...

Keep reading, keep learning, keep preparing :)

1 hour ago, Guest Joseph johnigk said:

I’m interested in getting into alternative commmunication in case the grid goes down. Need to talk to someone about what to do to get started. In gmrs long range communication. I’m in the Peoria illinois area ,, who can I contact?

thanks. Joe Johnigk

I think you intended to ask if GMRS is long range communication. 
It is not. Without the grid it is limited to very short range between two handheld radios. Using a repeater a person might achieve a hundred miles, assuming the repeater has a 50 mile coverage radius.

Ham radio has the potential of communicating at very long ranges and some of the newer software programs leverage that technical capability to provide an alternative to internet based email, file sharing, and chat.

But I want to emphasize that getting that kind of performance out of ham radio is not as simple as passing the tests, buying a radio, throwing a wire over a tree, and getting on the air. It requires practice and trial and error to determine what works for your location and when. 

6 hours ago, Guest Joseph johnigk said:

thanks. Joe Johnigk

Looks like there is a ham club in your area, they may be able to help. non affiliated link below 

https://www.w9uvi.org 

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

You're doing it wrong!

7 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I’ll work on it 😂

How do I set up an affiliated link to my affiliated page ... ?!?