Static help

WRUN771

Less than a year into the GMRS world, I Got the Btech V2 handheld good to go.

I just recently went on a road trip and decided to buy the Midland MTX400VP3 bundle installed it myself and hit several repeaters I know I was in the range of.

All I got was a lot of unclear talking and while others would transmit I could see it on the radio, most of the time it was unclear or full of static.

Travel from Pensacola Florida to Lumpkin Georgia  back towards Mobile Alabama,  Panama, and Destin Florida  

My question is about laying antenna cable, I have it coiled up nicely behind the center counsel where the radio is. I have the Ghost  3db gain antenna would that cause any problems 

Any suggestions 

Static on receive is typically caused by one of two things.  First is signal levels from the transmitter (repeater) you are listening to isn't sufficent to fully capture the receiver you are using to monitor the transmitter. 

Second possibility is that something is loose in your antenna system and not making 100% contact all the way from the antenna to the radio.  This could be a bad coax, loose antenna or part in the antenna, or even a loose RF connector on the radio. 

Go through the system, verify the cable isn't pinched or damaged in any way and that all connections are tight.

Third thing to check is if it is vehicle noise.

Is it present when the engine is off (or more -- if you have radio wired direct to battery [given this is a 40W radio -- DO NOT wire to cigarette lighter socket], shut the vehicle completely down)?

Does it vary with road/engine speed?

Also check wide/narrow-band on the channel.